Chapter 37

They settled into a rhythm. Hokulani began playing a game of cyber-cat and mouse, while Aoloa worked on augmenting himself to the max as her bodyguard. There were plenty of false alarms on both sides, but overall, her new efforts worked well to keep them hidden.

They also moved around a lot, making it difficult for anyone to track them. Unlike most of the hackers, who had jobs that tied them to one general location, they could move fairly freely. Their job was hunting game and not getting caught. With abundant wilderness, they were designed to survive just fine. Their biggest risk was connecting with humanity.

The hardest part, for them, was piecing together the trickles of information. They finally got their break when Hokulani received a contact out of the blue in a private chat.

KingKong34: The police arrested SherpaDerpa. They aren't publicizing it because they aren't sure what he's done that's illegal. All his computers were seized, including recorded videos that he claims are of you.

UPSOutsider98: Why are you contacting us?

KingKong34: Kodachrome44 put them onto him when he tried to convince Kodachrome you guys were legit.

UPSOutsider98: Yeah, we had an incident with the police shortly after an intense conversation with Kodachrome, too. The mauled dogs incident.

KingKong34: SherpaDerpa predicted something like that would happen. We seriously need his computer destroyed. There's too much evidence on it. We can't get into a police station, but he told us to contact you guys if something came up. Said you might have something that could help.

UPSOutsider98: Telling us where he's at will reveal his identity.

KingKong34: You can't hurt him worse, right now. Look, was he spot on about you, or was he pulling his normal bullshit.

UPSOutsider98: He was spot on.

KingKong34: He's... She's in Bern. Regionalgefängnis Bern. It's downtown. Vanessa Eder. A chic.

With that, the contact disappeared.

::Can you confirm it? Is what he says legit?::

::Give me a moment,:: she replied. She scrubbed the Internet, feeding him related articles as fast as she could find them. Everything fit with what KingKong had said and with the video chat they'd had. She could pass as a guy with the right clothes.

::Let's do it. We're only a few miles away, anyway.::

She nodded. They plotted their attack on the move.