Chapter 67

It took them two hours of work to get Mele and Kaholo up to speed and ready to fight, if needed. It would take a while for the genetic expression balance to take effect, but they were still strong, smart, and loyal.

In the mean time, the pack had been pacing around a couple floors above them. They were armed with small sidearms and were wearing their full combat armor. ::Time to convince the general we are who we say we are. Suit up! Heads exposed.::

Once they'd grown the body suits, he called General Mitchell back. "I'd like you to send down Ailani and Kanoa. I don't care if they're armed or not."

"Where did you get those suits from?"

"FOCUS! General, you are not working in your president's best interests. Now send the two mutts down. They won't be harmed as long as they don't get itchy trigger fingers."

The general gave an order, and the two alphas were soon moving down. The rest of the pack followed, only stopping a short distance from the safe room. The alphas had their weapons drawn in a combat stance as the door opened. The colony, by contrast, was relaxed with Jarvison sitting behind his desk, a bit pale, but still doing reasonably well.

"Hi puppy," Aoloa said.

"Who the hell is this?" Kanoa demanded.

Aoloa locked eyes with Kanoa and advanced steadily arms raised forward, back of his hands towards the mutt. "Smell."

Kanoa furrowed a brow in confusion, but inhaled deeply. Ailani did the same. They glanced at each other before Kanoa murmured, "Maybe?"

"Who's been hosting your pack during your fuck fests? It can't be fun with nobody to threaten their lives, now can it? Or do they bug the berserkers, now?"

"Favorite game?"

"Super Smash Brothers."

"Favorite character?"

"Kirby."

The two alphas exchanged a glance.

"How'd you survive?"

"Kawikani faked it instead of following orders. Lopaka masked the rest, but they figured out what happened. Didn't you wonder why Kawikani disappeared?"

"They had an explanation. It's when Lopaka disappeared with a bunch of the colony that you guys were labeled unstable and kept out of missions. Then Hanale and Keaka ran off, and we were told felines were being removed from the next generation, that wolves were the superior soldier."

"Keaka and Hanale were hostages. We freed them."

Ailani flicked her gaze at the watching general. "It's them. No doubt. Don't ask me why they look different or what the suits are, but it's them." Kanoa nodded in agreement, keeping his gaze on Aoloa.

"Keep your pack out of my way, Kanoa. You can come with, or you can stay, but stay out of our way."

Kanoa's gaze flicked over to the general who was scowling at the scene. Suddenly, the wolf shouted, "NOW!" and lifted his gun. Aoloa's claws ripping his throat wide open stopped the motion, while his suit covered his head.

Hokulani took several bullets to the chest from Ailani before she landed on the alpha female. Hokulani's jaws bit out half the wolf's neck as the first pack member rounded the corner. The colony's new claws shredded the armor while they shrugged off the bullets. The wolves died as fast as they entered.

A massive bellow sounded from above them. Aoloa turned his attention to the general. "You know what happened to the squads that found us. Call the berserkers off." It took a while for the monsters above them to calm down, but it happened. "Now then, general, let's discuss how the twelve of us are going to leave the territory of the United Pacific States without getting killed in the process. I have no doubt you want us to die, quite badly, so let's make this rather simple."

"What do you have in mind?"

"UPS Naval One. We're going to take a little trip with Jarvison, here. He's going to come with us. We'll provide the destination to the pilot once we're in the air."

"How do I know we can trust you not to harm Jarvison once you're in the air?"

"Now general," he replied in a condescending tone, "we've only known each other for a few, short hours, yet I think it's fair to say I've given you far less reason to be mistrustful than you have, me. Surely you won't claim you've been overly honorable with me, recently."

Mitchell scowled, but said nothing.

"So, as I was saying, we'll be traveling with President Jarvison. And if you get any ideas, the events of the last few hours are available on the Internet. When we're certain of our safety from you, they'll disappear. If we should die, they'll be broadcast globally within a few days. You've already dealt with Lopaka before, you know I'm not bluffing."

Mitchell's scowl deepened. "I'll see what I can arrange."

"You have a half hour. That's plenty of time to prep the plane. We'll be walking out then. If it's not ready for our flight, President Jarvison will suffer some accidents you won't be able to easily explain away. Nothing lethal, just embarassing."