Chapter 52

Aoloa walked up to the Angela Merkel Memorial Border Fence's camera and waved at it with a jaunty grin on his face. ::Are you sure this isn't insane?:: Lopaka asked.

::I didn't say it wasn't insane, I said I was pretty sure he could make it work.::

::I'm not sure that's comforting.::

Aoloa flicked some blood at the fence, and soon a large hole appeared in it. By the time he'd walked up to the second fence, two have cyborgs and multiple light cyborgs were aiming various caliber weapons at his head.

"Hi! I'd like to speak with Colonel Wolf."

"She's not interested in speaking with you. You are ordered to turn back," a heavy cyborg stated.

::I see. They're belligerent, but predictable. I understand how this plays out. Time for me to play my hand.::

"I'm afraid the French Caliphate has decided they don't care for our presence in their nation, either. I think they'd consider it a personal favor if you let us in." The grin fell from his face. "I rather must insist on speaking with the good, honorable colonel."

The heavy cyborgs lifted their arms, then abruptly spun around, aiming their weaponry at the light cyborgs. During the standoff, various light cyborgs would abruptly turn on their fellows. When half had "rebelled", a light cyborg asked, "Would you like an escort to her, or did you plan to meet her here?"

"An escort sounds lovely. I have a few friends with me she'll need to be able to accommodate."

With that statement, the rest of the colony approached the fence. This time, a heavy cyborg simply lifted the lower edge of the fence so they could crawl through safely.

----

They arrived at the familiar Ulm base to multiple hostile glares from the personnel there. When all ten of them exited the back of the troop transport, the attitude didn't improve in the slightest. Despite that, Colonel Wolf was there in person to greet them. "This better be good, Aoloa," she scowled.

"Oh, it is. We wish to enter into a mutually beneficial exchange."

"I thought I got rid of you."

"Yeah, how pissed off was the Swiss Army when they realized you'd played them, anyway?" Her scowl deepened. "Anyway, I'm here to propose an exchange. I think we have some technology you would find useful, and I know you have some that could be useful to us. A mutually beneficial exchange."

"What's your game?"

"So suspicious! Don't you think the dishonorable one here is you?" Her left eyelid twitched. "Anyway, we need a few supplies that we can't readily engineer. You, however, can. For our part, we can help you develop an extra edge in your technology. Now, are you interested, or do we give someone else in your chain of command to look like a hero instead of the chump you currently appear to be?"

She was silent for a long while before she finally sighed. "Come on, I know I'll want it, whatever it is."

"You never found the nanites I used against you. This time, I'll let you have them," he stated.

Her eyes narrowed suspiciously. "And in exchange?"

"Some cybernetics, and a few new ideas combining our two offerings."

"You've gotten cagier," she noted.

"Comes from getting screwed over a few times."