Chapter 12: Only Hope

"I never knew before, what such a love as you have made me feel, was; I did not believe in it; my Fancy was afraid of it, lest it should burn me up. But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures."
― John Keats, Letters to Fanny Brawne

Troye's POV

"So, uh, what did you want to go over first? We could continue where we left off or...I don't know, do you want to go over the homework assignment first, or-"

He broke off when Tyler stopped walking and stared down the path to the library instead of looking at him.

"Um..." Troye glanced around uncertainly. "Do you...what's wrong?"

Tyler shook his head, still staring down the pathway. "To be honest, I don't really feel like going to the library."

"Oh..." Troye stared down at the ground briefly and wondering if this was really happening again. "Do you want me to go?"

Tyler finally turned to look at Troye incredulously. "Of course I don't want you to go. I was just...I mean, I was just thinking it'd probably be...I mean, my house is a lot closer than Spiegel so...if you want, we could go there instead."

Troye looked up, startled. "What?"

"Yeah, I just think it'd be more comfortable and maybe we'd be-I don't know, if you feel more comfortable at the library then-"

"Um..."

Troye half turned away from Tyler and ran a hand through his hair, his eyes darting down the path that led to the library.

"Maybe..."

Troye's voice faltered, prepared to excuse himself and retreat to the safety of the familiar.

"Maybe?" Tyler seemed to pounce on the word and he flashed Troye a hopeful smile.

"Uh, maybe...I mean yes, that's-okay."

Tyler's grin widened. "Cool. It's this way."

With a somewhat nervous hesitation, Troye followed Tyler, mulling over the situation. This was the first time he would be seeing Tyler's dorm-the first time either one of them had invited the other over in fact. He stole discreet glances at Tyler as they walked, trying to determine why this sudden invitation had come about, if there was anything behind it.

Troye wished he could be the kind of person who could just ask casually, but of course he wasn't, so he just quietly followed Tyler down the a path leading away from the library, not really paying attention to where they were going. Belatedly, something Tyler had said filtered through his mind and he frowned

"Tyler?"

Tyler turned his head and smiled at Troye. "Yeah?

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course," Tyler said, continuing to look at him curiously. "You can ask me anything

Troye chewed his bottom lip before speaking. "If you had to go back home because of your dad, why did you come back early?"

"Oh." Tyler looked away from Troye with a shrug. "We had plans and I didn't want to spend time with him. It seemed like an easy decision."

Troye's feet stopped moving. Tyler missed the startled look that darted across Troye's face but not the fact that he had stopped walking altogether.

"Troye?" Tyler glanced around uncertainly, as if trying to see whatever had captured Troye's attention. "What's wrong?"

Troye didn't move. "You came back early...because of our plans?