Chapter 29

hello everyone :) so thank you for reaching 30 comments :) hopefully you'll comment as much on this one as well :) sorry it's probably pretty short... i hope you like it though ^.^ ENJOY <3 (btw sorry it's really sad...)

            Ryan died that night in his sleep only two hours after Javaad and I left. We were the last friends to talk to him, besides his parents who were sitting next to him all night. I honestly felt the wind get knocked out of me when I found out later that night. Mrs. Cudworth had texted me simply, saying what had happened.

            Mrs. Cudworth: Ryan didn’t make it. He passed away peacefully in his sleep. You were the best friend he could’ve ever asked for. He loved you.

            I got that text while I was picking at my dinner. My phone vibrated in my pocket and normally my dad didn’t like me using my phone at the dinner table, but I guess it was okay tonight. My heart completely stopped as I opened up the text. My parents both knew what it was, and before either of them could comfort me I’d jumped up from the dinner table and ran upstairs to be alone already crying before I reached my bedroom.

            I slammed my door shut behind me and threw my phone on my bed. I was screaming crying at this point. I was mad and extremely sad at the same time. During my tantrum, I managed to stub my toe against my dresser which just got me even more worked up. I eventually fell onto my bed and cried into my pillow.  

            No one bothered me or tried talking with me. I’m sure they could hear me crying, because it lasted for a while until I drifted off to sleep. I woke up again at around 11:00 and rolled out of bed. My parents were in their bedroom, my dad watching TV in bed and my mom reading a book. I stepped into their bedroom and they both looked over at me. I’d cried all my tears, so I just walked over to my mom who took me into her arms and held me as I merely whimpered.

            “Why did it have to happen to him?” I whined into her white long-sleeved shirt. “Why do all the good people have to die?”

            I felt her stroke my hair and kiss the top of my head a couple times. “I don’t know baby, I don’t know…”

TWO DAYS LATER

            That Friday evening, I dressed up nicely and my family went to the wake that was located in town. It was an open casket wake and I honestly didn’t know what was going to happen. I’d never been to a wake before this one.

            I found Ryan’s family at one side of the large room and I walked over, seeing Javaad there with his dad. Mrs. Cudworth saw me and hugged me tightly. “Thank you so much for coming…” she whispered as she hugged me. My parents stood back and Emma just kinda looked around. I stepped back and looked at Javaad next to me, and then looked away. “Ryan… really loved you two…”

            I nodded a little bit and looked at the floor. Javaad was stiff and quiet, and I assumed it was just because of the atmosphere in here. There were a lot of people from school, a lot of kids from the soccer team, including Beau, who were also friends with Ryan.

            Javaad excused himself and went to find his friends to talk to. I turned back around to my parents who were talking with Uncle Zayn.

            “Hey kiddo,” Uncle Zayn tried to smile at me as he pulled me into a hug. I weakly returned the greeting and stepped back. The ceremony started a couple minutes later and we were allowed to go up to the casket to say our last goodbyes.

            “I think you and Javaad should go together,” Mrs. Cudworth told me softly and she waved Javaad over. She told Javaad and he only nodded in response. The kids from school either went to the very end of the group walking up towards the casket, or decided not to go up at all. Javaad walked awkwardly next to me as we approached the casket behind Ryan’s family and relatives. Javaad took my hand once we stepped up to it. I swallowed hard and bit my lip, looking down at Ryan who looked like he was sleeping.