Chapter 2

All the dwarves went to pile around the door while I went to the kitchen to prepare another bowl and cup of ale.

"Gandalf, I thought you said this place would be easy to find. I lost my way twice. Wouldn't have found it at all had it not been for that mark on the door" A deep voice said. It sent shivers down my spine. Pleasurable shivers.

"Mark? There's no mark on that door, it was painted just a week ago" Bilbo said.

"There is a mark. I put it there myself" Gandalf replied. Oh, so that's where the mark came from. It's a good thing I didn't paint over it.

"Now, Bilbo Baggins, let me introduce you to the leader of our company, Thorin Oakenshield. Where is Bella?" He asked. I walked into the hall.

"Over here Gandalf. I prepared a plate for the newest guest. I figured he'd be hungry considering how hungry the others were" I said. He smiled. I saw a glimpse of black hair with some gray in it go towards Bilbo.

"Tell me Mr. Baggins, have you done much fighting?" the same deep voice as earlier asked my brother. I stifled a giggle. Bilbo...Fighting? He can't even hurt a fly...Seriously...He lets it out the door.

"Pardon me?" Bilbo asked surprised.

"Axe or sword? Weapon of choice?" He asked again. It seemed like Bilbo didn't understand what Thorin was saying.

"Well, I have some skills at conkers if you must know, but I fail to see how that's relevant" He said. I face palmed.

"Thought as much. He looks more like a grocer than a burglar" He sighed. This time I let the giggle out. Thorin came up to me and I finally got a good look at him. He was VERY handsome. Long black hair and a long black beard with some grey sprinkling it. He had the most beautiful blue eyes I have ever seen and even with all his clothes and armour, I could tell he was very muscular. I snapped out of my gaze and cleared my throat.

"I can show you to the table Mr. Oakenshield "I said.

"Thorin is fine" He replied. I nodded and showed him to the table. I gestured toward the seat that had the food in front of it. He nodded in thanks and sat down.

"If you need anything else, I'll be in the living room" I told the dwarves that came into the hall. I went to the living room and sat in my chair. I put my blanket around myself and grabbed my book. I opened it and started reading.

"You're going on a quest?" This question caught my attention. I stood up and walked towards the entrance of the hall.

"Bilbo, my dear fellow, let us have a little more light" Gandalf said. From his robe, he pulled out a map and he spread it across the table.

"Far to the east, over ranges and rivers, beyond woodlands and wastelands, lies a single solitary peak" He stated. I stayed near the entrance almost invisible. My brother read the name of the mountain.

"The lonely mountain" He stated.

"Aye. Oin has read the portents. They say it is time "Gloin said.

"Ravens have been seen flying back to the mountain as it had been foretold; when the birds of yore return to Erebor, the reign of the beast will end" Oin recited.

"Beast?" Bilbo asked nervously. Even I knew what they were talking about.

"That would reference to Smaug the Terrible, chiefest and greatest calamity of our age. Airborne fire-breather, teeth like razors, claws like meathooks, extremely fond of precious metals-"Bofur explained.

"Yes. I very much know what a dragon is" Bilbo snapped.

"I'm not afraid! I'm up for it. I'll give him the taste of dwarvish iron right up his jacksie!" a young dwarf exclaimed standing up. Ori, I believe.

"Sit down!" His brother Dori exclaimed pushing Ori back down on his chair.

"The task would be difficult enough with an army behind us, but we are just a number of thirteen, and not thirteen of the best or the brightest." Balin stated. Most dwarves were protesting the statements saying that they weren't dim.

"We may be few in number, but we're fighters. Right down to the very last dwarf!" FIli exclaimed. I smiled at his determination.

"And you forget, we have a wizard in our company. Gandalf will have killed hundreds of dragons in his time" Kili added. Gandalf choked a little on his pipe.

"Oh. Well...now, I wouldn't say that I-"The wizard trailed off. I smirked. He hasn't killed any dragons has he?

"How many then?" Dori asked curiously.

"What?" Gandalf asked confused

"How many dragons have you killed? Give us a number" Dori commanded. Gandalf started choking on his pipe in embarrassment while the dwarves were fighting on how many dragons he's killed. I smiled in amusement. I stole quick glance at Thorin. He was already staring at me. I looked down blushing.

"If we have read these signs, do you think others will have read them too? Rumours have begun to spread. The dragon Smaug has not been seen for 60 years. Eyes look to the mountain, assessing, wondering, and weighing the risk. Perhaps the vast wealth of our people now lies unprotected. Do we sit back while others claim what is rightfully ours? Or do we seize this chance to take back Erebor?" Thorin exclaimed. What followed were some dwarvish words that I did not understand but they started cheering so im guessing it was something good.

"You forget, the front gate is sealed, there is no way into the mountain" Balin stated sadly.

"That, my dear Balin is not entirely true" Gandalf said with a twinkle in his eye. He takes out a dwarvish key from his robe and places it on the table. Thorin looks at it in awe.

"How did you come by this?" He asked the old wizard.

"It was given to me by your father, by Thrain for safe keeping. It is yours now" Gandalf said. Thorin picked it up.

"There's a key so there must be a door" Someone said. I was too busy staring looking at Thorin

"These runes speak of a hidden passage to the lower halls" The wizard continued. Kili smiled

"There's another way in!" He exclaimed

"Well, if we can find it, dwarf door are invisible when closed. The answer lies hidden in this map but I do not have the skills to find it. There are others in middle earth who can. The task I have in mind will require a great deal of stealth, and no small amount of courage but if we are careful and clever, I believe it can be done" Gandalf said. Thorin looked up and met my stare. I quickly looked away.

"That's why we need a burglar" Ori said. I looked in amusement at Bilbo.

"A good one too. An expert I'd imagine" My brother said leaning over to read the map

"And are you?" Gloin asked. Bilbo was oblivious to the fact that he was supposed to be the burglar.

"Am I what?" He asked. I face palmed again. Is my brother really that...we'll say oblivious.

"He said he's an expert!" Oin exclaimed not understanding that my brother had no idea what the hell was happening. I looked at each dwarf and most of them were happy they managed to trick my brother.

"Me!? Oh no, no, no, no... I'm not a burglar. I've never stolen anything in my life." Bilbo trailed off. I rolled my eyes.

"Trust me. He's never stolen anything. I'm the one who got the mischievous gene" I said. Most dwarves looked like they forgot I was here.

"I have to agree with the Baggins'. He's hardly burglar material" Balin agreed with us.

"Enough! If I say Bilbo Baggins is a burglar then he's a burglar!" Gandalf shouted. The room went darker before it went back to normal when the wizard calmed down.

"Besides, hobbits are remarkably light on their feet. In fact, they can pass unseen by most if they choose. And while the dragon is accustomed to the smell of dwarf, the scent of a hobbit is all but unknown to him, which gives us a distinct advantage. You asked me to find you the fourteenth member of this company and I have chosen Mr. Baggins. There is more to him than appearances suggest and he has a great deal more to offer than any of you know. You must trust me on this." The wizard finished.

"Very well. We shall do it your way" Thorin sighed.

"No, no, no," Bilbo protested.

"Give him the contract" Thorin said to Balin. The said dwarf reached into his coat and took out a rolled piece of paper.
"It's just the usual summary of out of pocket expenses, time required, remuneration, funeral arrangements and so forth" Balin said holding the contract out to my brother. Bilbo was hesitant so Thorin took it and shoved it in Bilbo's hands. He started to read it.

"Terms: Cash on delivery, up to but not exceeding a fourteenth of total profit...Seems fair. Present company shall not be liable to injuries inflicted or sustained as a consequence thereof including..." He trailed off.

"Lacerations, eviscerations, INCINERATION?" My brother exclaimed to the dwarf.

"Aye. He can melt the flesh right off your bones in the blink of an eye" Bofur said.

"You alright Bilbo" I asked him. He nodded

"Just feeling a bit faint" He answered. I looked at him concerned. I didn't want him to throw up or worse, faint.

"Think furnace with wings" Bofur said making it worse. I held Bilbo steady.

"Flash of light, searing pain, then POOF! You're nothing more than a pile of ash" Bofur continued. That was it for my brother. He fainted.

"Ah very helpful Bofur" Gandalf said before helping me put my brother on the chair. I went to the kitchen and grabbed the kettle. I put it on and grabbed a glass of water. I walked back to the hall and pushed my way to the front of the crowd. Bilbo was still out cold. I threw the water in his face and he jumped up screaming 'Cold!' I muffled my laugh with my hand and my brother glared at me.

"I'm making tea" I said. He rolled his eyes

"Are you alright Lad?" Bofur asked. Bilbo nodded

"Yes. Just let me sit quietly for a moment" He answered

"You've been sitting quietly for far too long. Tell me; when did doilies and your mother's dishes become so important? I remember a young...no wait two young hobbits who were always running off in search for elves in the woods, who'd stay out late and come home after dark trailing mud and fireflies. Two young hobbits who would have liked nothing better than to find out what was beyond the borders of the Shire. Bilbo, the world is not in your books and your maps, it's out there" Gandalf said.

"I'm sorry Gandalf, I can't sign this. You've got the wrong hobbit. Plus I can't leave Bella here alone. She'd burn the house down" My brother replied.

"Hey! I wouldn't burn the house down! I'm not that irresponsible" I exclaimed. He rose an eyebrow.

"Ok, maybe a little irresponsible" I mumbled. I heard some chuckles from the dwarves. I rolled my eyes

"Whatever, I'm going in the living room" I said. I walked to the living room and got back into my chair. I quickly got lost in a story about a princess who had the save her kingdom. A nice change from the prince saving the princess.

A while later, the dwarves came into the living room. It was quiet until Thorin started humming.

"Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away 'ere break of day
To find our long forgotten gold

The pines were roaring on the height
The winds were moaning in the night
The fire was red, it's flaming spread
The trees like torches, blazed with light" They finished.

The last thing I saw before falling asleep was a tear coming down Thorin's eye.