Chapter 17

"The King Under the Mountain is dead. I took his throne." Smaug said as he chased me...Well, more like taunted me.

"I ate his people like a wolf amongst sheep" He continued

"I kill where I wish, when I wish. My armour is Iron; no blade can pierce me." He continued. Does he ever stop talking?

"It's Oakenshield" I froze. He stopped along with me.

"What about him?" I spat. He cruelly dragon-grinned at me.

"That filthy dwarvish usurper. He probably sent you down here to do his dirty work" He said.

"Do not talk about him like that. He is a great dwarf" I took out my sword even though I knew it wouldn't do anything.

"I see you have Oathkeeper. The slayer of my brother Telude" He said. I gripped the sword tighter.

"Yes I do"

"I knew Oakenshield would come back one day. I guessed his foul purpose long ago, but it matters not. His quest will fail. The darkness is coming. It will cover every corner of the land" He said.

"You're wrong. This quest will not fail" I said.

"You have been used. Thief in the shadows. You were only ever a means to end. The coward weighed the value of your life and found it worth nothing." He said. I shook my head.

"That is where you are wrong. He didn't want me to come down here. I insisted. I volunteered to put my life on the line coming down here" I said.

"Ah! Of course! I see it now. You're in love with the dwarvish filth" He said.

"I think our little game ends here. So tell me, how do you wish to die?" He asked. I saw the fire coming from his belly. I waited until the right moment before putting the ring on once more and running to coin free ground. I quietly ran up the stairs to safety. Kind of. I let out a tiny scream has he blew fire near where I was.

*Thorin's P.O.V*

"I can't take it any longer. I'm going to find Bella" I said. I took out my sword and ran inside. I ran through the tunnels until fire stopped me. I ran in another direction and saw Bella running in front of me.

"Bella! You're alive!" I exclaimed. She stopped and her eyes widened. I ran towards her.

"You're ok" I said in relief. I cupped her face and kissed her passionately, but she pulled away.

"But not for long. Come on, lets go" She said. She grabbed my arm and started dragging me.

"Did you find the Arkenstone?" I asked her as we were running. I felt her falter a bit.

"The dragon! It's coming!" She exclaimed. We ran in another tunnel.

"Bella. Did you find the Arkenstone?" I asked.

"No I didn't" She said and tried to enter another tunnel. I stopped her with the sword.

"Thorin?" She choked. Suddenly, we heard a roar. I turned around to see Smaug. He seemed to recognize me.

"You will burn!" He exclaimed. He blew fire but we were pulled out of the way by the others. They ushered us through a door

"Come on Bella!" Dori exclaimed pulling her. As soon as I was through the door, they closed it and we ran.

*Bella's P.O.V*

It was quiet as we waited to see if the dragon was near.

"Quietly" Thorin whispered as we started walking down a tunnel.