Chapter 13

I gulped as I looked at the man holding the bow. I put my hands up and backed up. The man took a step forward.

"Guys" I said. Luckily, it caught their attention and they looked at me, only to find a man aiming an arrow at me. I could see Thorin's worried face out of the corner of my eye. All the dwarves were frozen until Dwalin picked up a stick and charged at the man. Before I even had the time to blink, the arrow was shot into Dwalin's stick and then he shoots at the rock in Kili's hand.

"Do it again, and she's dead" The man says aiming his arrow back at me.

"Why do men always think that women are the weak spot in a group!? I'll have you know that I am no weakling" I said walking towards the man. He didn't move a muscle. I stood right in front of the arrow. He still didn't move and before he could, I flipped him. He groaned as he landed on his back. Thorin came forward and quickly pulled me back towards the group. I tried to get out of his grasp but he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me flush against his chest. I froze and soon relaxed. The man got up and Balin approached him.

"Forgive my friend over there, she's a bit on the grumpy side today" He said gesturing towards me. I gave him a glare and opened my mouth to give him a piece of my mind but Thorin tightened his grip as to tell me 'no'.

"If I'm not mistaken, you're from Laketown aren't you?" Balin continued. The man nodded.

"That barge over there, it wouldn't be for hire by any chance?" Balin asked. The man picked up his bow and dusted it off. He walked to the barge and we followed him.

"You can let go Thorin" I said. He shook his head.

"I'm not taking the chance of you trying to harm our only option right now" He said lowly so the others couldn't hear. I huffed and crossed my arms. The breath of his laugh caressed my neck and I had a hard time supressing the shiver that passed through my spine.

"What makes you think I will help you?" He asked as he started loading the barrels onto the barge.

'Oh, I don't know, as an apology for threatening me?' I thought rolling my eyes.

"Those boots have seen better days, so has that coat. No doubt you have some hungry mouths to feed. How many bairns?" Balin asked. The man paused.

"A boy and two girls" He answered.

"And your wife, I'd imagine she's a beauty" Balin said. I rolled my eyes. Here we go with the men believing that woman are the weak spot again.

"Aye, she was" The man said looking down sadly. Now I kind of feel bad for him.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-" Dwalin cut him off

"Oh come on, come on. Enough with the niceties" He said.

"What your hurry?" The man asked.

"What's it to you?" Dwalin replied.

"Dwalin be nice" I said. He looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Wasn't this the guy that had an arrow pointed at your face earlier?" He asked. I nodded and just looked at him pleadingly. He sighed in defeat and I smiled. We both looked back at the man.

"I'd like to know who you are and what you are doing in these lands" He answered Dwalin's question.

"We are but simple merchants from the Blue Mountains, journeying to see our kin in the Iron hills." Balin said.

"Simple merchants you say? Then what is a female hobbit doing here?" he asked.

"They're in the slave business" I said seriously. The dwarves all looked at me in disbelief.