Chapter 6

"This was your plan all along! To seek refuge with the enemy!" Thorin fumed slamming the bottom of his axe handle on the ground. I will say it... He looks good when he's mad... Bad mind! Can't think like this.

'You have no enemies here Thorin Oakenshield. The only ill-will to be found in this valley is that which you bring yourself" Gandalf replied to the angry dwarf.

"You think the elves will give this quest their blessing? They will try to stop us" Thorin said.

"Of course they will, but we have questions that need answering. If we are to be successful, this will need to be handled with tact and respect and no small degree of charm. Which is why you will leave the talking to me" Gandalf stated. Thorin pondered over what the wizard said for a minute then sighed in defeat.

'Fine" He mumbled and we followed Gandalf down the hill to the city of Rivendell. I stayed at the back admiring the scenery around me. Once we crossed the bridge, we were approached by a group of elves.

"Mithrandir" The elf in the front greeted...Gandalf, I believe.

"Ah...Lindir" Gandalf greeted. I'm guessing they're friends. They had a small chat before Gandalf stated that we needed to talk to Lord Elrond.

"My Lord Elrond is not here" Lindir replied.

"Not here? Where is he may I ask?" He asked. He was about to answer when a horn sounded. I looked towards the sound and saw a group of elves on horses riding towards us. Thorin yelled something in Dwarvish before someone pulled me in the middle of the group and they got into a circle with their weapons drawn. The elves circled us and the group got closer.

"Seriously? I thought I already said I could protect myself. Plus I doubt the elves are going to hurt us" I said

"Or me at least" I added mumbling.

"Gandalf" An elf with long brown hair greeted the wizard.

"Lord Elrond" Gandalf bowed. Like with the other elf, Gandalf started chatting with Lord Elrond in elvish. I could see the dwarves getting annoyed.

"Strange for orcs to come close to our borders." Lord Elrond said in the common tongue. That we understood.

"Something or... someone has drawn them near" He continued.

"Ah...That may have been us" Gandalf smiled sheepishly while looking back at us.

"Welcome Thorin, son of Thrain" Elrond greeted the leader of the company.

"I do not believe we have met" Thorin said, still not happy about being around elves.

"You have your grand father's bearing. I knew Thror when he ruled under the mountain." Elrond said calmy. I was impressed at his patience with the dwarven prince that I will admit, is hard to handle sometimes.

"Indeed, he made no mention of you" Thorin insulted. I rolled my eyes. Elrond, fortunately, ignored the insult and started speaking Elvish with Gandalf once again.

"What is he saying? Is he offering us insult?" Gloin asked. Gandalf looked at the dwarf and shook his head.

"No Master Gloin. He is offering you food" He said. The company turned towards the inside of the circle and started discussing in dwarvish

"I'm right here you know" I said only to be ignored. I sighed exasperatedly.

"Well, in that case, lead on!" Gloin insisted. As Lord Elrond led us towards the palace, I continued looking at the scenery. Once we got inside, I was ushered away from the group by some elven maids. I got pushed into a room. I looked around. It was a bathroom. The water was steaming so I'm guessing the water was still hot. I stripped and unwrapped my chest. It felt good to let that part of my body actually breathe again. I slipped into the water and moaned at the wonderful feeling. I washed my hair and body. The water was pretty disgusting after I was done, but who can blame me, we've been travelling for a while... I found a towel on a bench. I wrapped it around myself and I also found a dress... I put it on since I had nothing else for now. I opened the door and saw a elven woman.

"Excuse me" I said. She looked at me and walked towards me.

"You are one of the travellers from earlier are you not?" She asked. I nodded and she smiled.

"My name is Arwen, I am Elrond's daughter. Is everything to your liking?" She asked.

"It's wonderful but do you think I could get some male clothing and possibly some bandages? Don't get me wrong, the dress is beautiful, it's just that the others don't know I am a woman... They think I'm my brother" I explained my situation. She quickly understood and told a maid to get me some bandages and male clothing.

'I shall go inform my father so he does not let your secret out" She said. I smiled in thanks and she left. A few minutes later, the elf maid from earlier came back with the bandages and clothes. I thanked her and closed the door so I could change out of the dress. I stripped and wrapped my chest once again. I put on the new clothes and smiled. They were really comfortable and they didn't easily reveal my gender! Once I was out the door, a woman led me towards the dining area. I was seated next to Balin. I saw Kili lookin at an elven woman. Dwalin raised his eyebrow at the young dwarf while I rolled my eyes at the young boy's hormones...Of course I wasn't any better when it came to his uncle but still!

"Can't say I fancy elf maids myself. Too thin. They're all high cheek bones and creamy skin. Not enough facial hair for me although... that one's not bad" He said gesturing to the elf that set down a plate in front of me...It was a guy.

"Kili, it's not a girl" I told him. He looked at me and the others horrified. We started laughing. I put some dressing on my salad and started eating it. It was pretty good.

"How can you eat that?" Fili asked me.

"When I was young, I couldn't stand the thought of eating animals so I became a vegetarian. Of course I got sick and doctor told me I needed to eat meat so I started eating meat again but I still really like greens and other vegetables" I explained. He gave me a weird look but shrugged and continued talking with his brother. I looked over to Thorin and saw him give his sword to Elrond.

"This is Orcrist. The goblin cleaver, made by my kin" the elf lord said and gave the sword back to Thorin. Gandalf then gave Elrond his sword.

"This is Glamdring" He said and gave the sword back to the wizard. I unsheathed my sword slightly.

"I wouldn't" Balin told me. I looked at him confused.

"Swords get their names for great deeds in battle" He said.

"Are you saying that my sword has never seen battle?" I asked.

"It's more of a letter opener" He said. I was about to put it back in the sheath when...

"Mr Baggins, let me see your sword" Lord Elrond said. I looked at him, then back at my sword before standing up and walking towards the lord. I gave him the sword and he looked at it.

"This is Oathkeeper. Slayer of the mighty dragon, Telude, from the West. The blade made by the fire nymphs of the south but the rest made by the elves of Lothlorien. Gandalf, how have you come across these swords?" Lord Elrond asked.

"Troll hoard near the east road" Gandalf replied. The elvish lord gave me back my sword.

"And what were you doing near the east road?" Elrond asked. Thorin answered by excusing himself and walking away.

"Thirteen dwarves and a female hobbit, strange travelling companions Gandalf" He said lowly. I took that as my cue to go back to my seat.

"What was that about?" Kili asked me.

"My sword. Its name is Oathkeeper. It apparently slayed the dragon Telude, from the west" I said. He looked impressed.

"Not bad" He said. I nodded and took a sip of my wine.

"Change the tune why don't you? I feel like I'm at a funeral" Nori told one of the musicians. I stifled a laugh at the girl's face.

"Did somebody die?" Oin asked with his trumpet in his hear.

"Alright lads, there's only one thing for it" Bofur said and climbed up on a stump in the middle of the tables.

"There's an inn, there's an inn, a merry old inn

Beneath an old grey hill

And there they brew a beer so brown

The man in the moon himself came down

One night to drink his fill

The jostler had a tipsy cat

That played the five string fiddle

And up and down he sawed his bow

Now squeaking high

Now purring low

Now sawing in the middle

So the cat on the fiddle played hey diddle-diddle

A jig that would wake the dead

He squeaked and sawed and quickened the tune

While the landlord shook the man in the moon

It's after three he said!" Bofur sang. I laughed along with the others and let me just say that I'm happy I didn't get hit by food the others were throwing at Bofur.

"Our business is no concern of the elves" I heard Thorin exclaim to Gandalf.

"For goodness sake Thorin! Just show him the map!" Gandalf replied.

"It is the legacy of my people. It is mine to protect; as are its secrets" Thorin said.

"Save me from the stubbornness of dwarves. Your pride will be your downfall. You stand here in the presence of one of the few in Middle-Earth who can read that map. Show it to him" Gandalf exclaimed.

"Erebor. What is your interest in this map?" Lord Elrond asked.

"Mainly academic, as you know, this sort of artefact sometimes contains hidden text. You still read ancient dwarvish, do you not?" Gandalf stated. Elrond nodded standing up and walking towards the moonlight. He said something in Elvish that I didn't understand.

"Moon runes. Of course! They are easy to miss" Gandalf said. I've read about moon runes once. They can only be read on the same exact moon that it was written in.

"Well in this case, it is true. Moon runes can only be read by the light of a moon the same shape and same season as the day they were written on" Elrond said. See? Close enough.

"But can you read them?" Thorin asked.

"These runes were written on a Midsummer's eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly two hundred years ago. It would seem that you were meant to come to Rivendell. Fate is with you, Thorin Oakenshield. The same moon shines upon us tonight" Elrond said. Elrond places the map on a stone and the clouds that covered the moon floated away. In the light of the moon, runes started glowing on the map.

"Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's day will shine upon the key hole." Lord Elrond translated.

"This is ill news. Summer is passing. Durin's day will soon be upon us." Thorin said.

"That doesn't leave us with much time" Someone added.

"We still have time" Balin said.

"Time for what?" I asked.

"To find the entrance. We have to be standing at exactly the right spot at exactly the right time. Then, and only then, can the door be opened" Balin clarified.

"So this is your purpose? To enter the mountain?" Elrond asked.

"What of it?" Thorin snapped.

"Some would deem it unwise" Elrond stated giving the map back to Thorin.

"What do you mean?" Gandalf asked his friend.

"You are not the only guardian to stand watch over Middle-Earth" Elrond said and then left. Gandalf followed him.

"Come on, let's get some sleep" Thorin said. The dwarves agreed and off we went. Of course, the maids took my stuff so I was forced to follow them to a rather nice room.

"My lady Arwen requested that you sleep here for the night" One of them said. I nodded and they left. I waited a few minutes before deeming it safe to go out. I grabbed my stuff and ran towards the dwarves. Most of them were already asleep so I quietly walked over to the only spot left. Next to Kili. I set up my bed and I fell asleep rather quickly. But my dreams were plagued by a certain dwarven prince.