Chapter 20

*Thorin's P.O.V*

"Since when do we forsake our own people? Thorin, they are dying out there." Dwalin said as I sat on the throne.

"There are holes beneath holes within this Mountain, places we can fortify. Shore up, make safe? Yes. Yes, that is it. We must move the gold further underground to safety." I said ignoring what Dwalin said. I stood up

"Did you not hear me? Dain is surrounded. They're being slaughtered, Thorin." He said. I looked at him.

"Many die in war, life is cheap. But a treasure such as this cannot be counted in lives lost. It is worth all the blood we can spend." I replied.

"You sit here in these vast halls with a crown upon your head, and yet you are lesser now than you have ever been." He said. I glared at him. How dare he?

"Do not speak to me as if I were some lowly Dwarf Lord. As is if I were still Thorin... Oakenshield. I am your King!" I yelled at him.

"You were always my King. You used to know that once. You cannot see what you have become." He said. I glared at him once more.

"Go. Get out, before I kill you." I said and with a sigh, he was gone, leaving me alone with my thoughts. After a few minutes, I decided to go to the gallery of the kings.

"A treasure such as this cannot be counted in lives lost." I remember myself saying.

"A sickness lies upon that treasure..." Balin.

"The blind ambition of a Mountain King." Bard.

"Am I not the King?" Me... I walked to the middle of the hardened gold.

"This gold is ours, and ours alone. Treasure hoard... I will not part with a single coin." Me.

"He could not see beyond his own desire!" Bard.

"...as if I were some lowly Dwarf Lord. Thorin Oakenshield." Me.

"A sickness which drove your grandfather mad." Balin.

"Oakenshield." Me.

"This is Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror!" Dwalin.

Maybe... I... did change... Maybe... Bella... was right... Bella... I miss her.

"I am not my grandfather." I remember saying to Gandalf.

"You are the heir to the Throne of Durin." Gandalf

"They are dying out there." Dwalin

"Take back Erebor." Gandalf

"Dain is surrounded...is surrounded." Dwalin

"Take back your homeland." Gandalf

"You are changed, Thorin." Bella

"I'm not my grandfather." Me

"Is this treasure truly worth more than your honor?" Bella

"I'm not my grandfather." I muttered. I saw a familiar shape swimming underneath the gold. It was Smaug! He jumped out of the gold and suddenly I was being sucked in.

"This treasure will be your death." I heard Gandalf say in my head. I snapped and threw away the crown. Bella, Balin and Gandalf were right... I did change and not for the better. I had to fix this. I ran to my room took off the king's armour to put on the old armour. I then ran to the wall Kili jumped up when he saw me.