Intro 11: District 11: America & Philippines

America's POV

I was out in the grain fields, though that girl, Philippines, was the only other one my age that was working with me. We were both about 16. Two more years since till age of working. But the reason we both were working here at a young age was to fend for ourselves and we both came from different districts with none of our family coming with us.

I came from district 7. She came from district 9. That's why she seemed so natural in district 11. Because district 9 is the district of train. District 11 is agriculture. Working in the fields should be a piece of cake for her.

I was having a hard time since I was used to huge trees like the ones in the forest of district 7. My younger sister, Canada and I would always play tag or hide and go seek in the forest. When we were older, we would play games with little Sealand so he wouldn't get bored. I missed those memories in the forest of district 7, now I couldn't have any new ones because of the divide. I sighed and filled my basket of agricultural foods and traded half of them for money and the half of them for my own.

I saw as Philippines was happily selling the mangoes she had and earned a lot of money. Like I said, she was a natural. "Hey, Alfred!" Philippines exclaimed, talking to me. I was a bit startled first as I faced her. "H-Hey, Maria. How was business going today?" I asked her. She just smiled. "Doing great! Ah I love this district. It reminds me so much of 9," Philippines said in awe and looked up at the blue sky.

"I'm still trying to get the hang of it," I said. Philippines nodded. "Yeah it's hard for a person to adapt to their new district. I'm just thankful that I'm fortunate enough to come here. My siblings scattered going into other districts," Philippines said. "Same thing with mine," I said as Philippines and I sat under the shade on chairs.

"You know how we're...close relations to 12 before they, disappeared. Right?" Philippines asked. I nodded. "Everyone remembers 12. It's what started this whole divide," I said. Philippines frowned and nodded. "I spotted one of the survivors. He talked to me. I think his name was... Lukas."

"Wait he's one of the 5 right?" I asked. Philippines nodded. "Yep. One of the Nordic 5," Philippines said. I pushed up my glasses and listened to Philippines' story. "So first he was talking to the district leaders. The divide already happened. I heard that there were going to be some sort of games," Philippines said. I nodded.

"They called it the Hunger Games, right?" I asked. Philippines nodded. "So, the game is when basically two people, one man and one woman, from each district are sent to fight. There are a total of 22 people and 21 get killed with only 1 surviving," Philippines said. I nodded. "They said it was like a method to avoid war. And the one person winning from the district gets to see their families again as well as the whole district," I said. "That's right," Philippines said.

"I figured this out from when Lukas came to buy some of my food for the travels. He told me everything since I was one of the only ones that weren't informed about it," Philippines said. "At least you go to know so it won't be taken by surprise," I told her. She nodded in agreement. "Well, it's almost time for the reaping. I'm actually pretty worried. I might get picked and fight. You might get picked, too," Philippines said. I sighed and nodded and ran my fingers through my hair, avoiding the strand that stood up.

"I know but I don't like thinking about it a lot. But if I win I might be able to see my family again. The worst thing that could possibly happen is that they're the people that I have to kill in the games," I said. Philippines' eyes widened. She thought it was nearly impossible. Then I watched her expression change when she gave it a second thought, and believed the theory I made.

"It seems horrible if that ever happened. I think that the reaping is starting now. We should get going," Philippines said. I nodded as we both got out from our seats and walked on the sidewalk as there were two top guards and a woman behind the desk. I told he our names as she took our blood samples. It wasn't long before the riot guards let us pass as we joined the crowd of people who's pale-white faces looked terrified, absolutely struck with fear.

I tried my best to stay calm in the situation. But Philippines was trembling utterly in horror. I pulled her into a friendly hug. "I-I don't want to die. I don't want you to die. We're friends, right? I don't want to die without seeing my family...," Philippines said. I stroked her chocolate-brown hair as I tried to calm her down. "It's okay, it's okay. Just calm down and have it under control," I whispered and let go of Philippines. I hated to admit it but I was scared myself, too. If I admitted it, people will think I'm a boneless coward.

I saw a familiar friend of mine, South Korea, he was standing up behind a microphone and faced everyone. Philippines gulped and clenched her fists as South Korea picked out of the first raffle bowl. When he announced Philippines' name, it was completely unexpected. She had stood next to South Korea with her face looked like it was painted white all over with fear. She was trembling like she was in the cold, wearing nothing but a swimsuit. As soon as South Korea called out my name, I stood next to Philippines and held her trembling hand.

"It's going to be okay..it's going to be okay..," I tried to assure her as we lifted our hands up and people cheered after South Korea announced the tributes. We put our hands down as Philippines had tears glisten from her eyes and she had pulled me into a tight hug, sobbing in my chest. I rested my chin on her head. Even though I kept telling her that it was going to be okay, the opposite was thought in my mind.

It's not going to be okay, it's not going to be okay...