Chapter Twelve

Kai had just put on his school tie when there was a knock on his door. Looking at his reflection in the mirror he answered for whom ever to come in. It was his father wearing a big smile while  carrying several booklets in his hands. This was the first thing Kai noticed as his father walked in. Automatically, Kai knew what this "talk" was going to be about.

"Kim Jong In, I've heard you've been working hard lately." he said. 

"Mmm." Kai nodded while adding a fake smile. 

"Just like you always' wanted me to do." Kai thought to himself. 

"Are you enjoying your new school?" his father asked. 

"Yes Aboji. I'm fitting in really well too." Kai said. 

"That's good. It's really important that you build your social skills up. Don't forget what we've talked about. Lately you've been doing good. I don't want anything to mess this up." his father said. 

Kai turned to face him and nodded his head again. Of course he remembered when they had their last "serious" conversation. It had been about him staying out of trouble and being diligent towards his parents and everyone around him. His father placed the booklets on his bed. 

"I happened to stumble upon a couple of college brochures for you to consider. I see you haven't chosen a college to pursue in yet.." 

Kai knew his father did not "stumble" upon any thing. This was carefully thought out and planned.  

"I will soon. I just want to make it through my exams first." Kai said to his father trying to reassure him with quick words.

"Of course, now would be the right time to be wise and to start thinking of the university's that you want to attend to. With your future racing quickly ahead of you, it's good to be prepared early." His father said. 

Kai knew exactly what kind of future his father wanted to him to have. His father was a well known business man with a company that invested in stocks. His father was a top investor with a positive image and ship loads of wealth that could last generations. Intelligent, good looking and strict, Mr.Kim was a respectful and an ideal man in the business world and in the community. In the household, Mr.Kim held high expectations. Especially for Kai. (Which included him walking in his very own footsteps and taking over the company after he graduates from college). But Kai had a different agenda. 

He wasn't sure what kind of future he wanted yet. As of now, he was just going with the flow. But his father was not aware of that. What his father was aware of however was how Kai spent his time with his friends instead of studying. Or when Kai was dancing in the streets and involving himself in fights. Not agreeing with his path, Mr.Kim became even stricter when it came down to Kai having a life outside of school. Starting at school in his classroom and then at home. 

"Take a look at these later on. Come on... If you are ready, I'll give you a ride to school." His father said with a smile. 

"No, it's okay. I'll be walking to school." Kai said grabbing his book bag. 

"Are you sure? Your school is along the route that I'll be traveling" Mr.Kim asked. 

"Aboji, I'll be fine." 

Kai walked out of his bedroom ignoring the brochures on his bed, passing his father yet again feeling irritated.

* * *

Walking towards the intersection, to pass the street that lead to school, Kai focused on what was straight ahead of him as he's listening to his i-pod. Trying to forget about his father's interests' in him going to college and all the things his father wanted him to be, he turned up the volume at it's loudest. As he crossed the road with the rest of the morning commuters' beside him, he noticed you sitting at the ppang shop eating bread. This time you weren't shoving food in your mouth. You were eating slowly while reading a comic book.