warriors: dealing with heartbreak and love

Chapter 32:

warriors: dealing with heartbreak and love 

Song: Love Don't Cost a Thing by Jennifer Lopez

"But......I love you." I cried looking up at him. He let go of me for a second to wipe away my tears with both of his thumbs, his palms clutching my face.

"You love him Alyssa. And you can't lie and say you don't cause I know you do. I can still see the sparkle in your eyes as we talk about him. The sparkle is dimmer but it's still there. And maybe somewhere else, you love me too. But you need to get over him first before you start something with me." Derek weakly smiled at me.

"But do you love me?" I asked Derek.

"Of course, Alyssa. Of course I love you. I've never loved anyone else in my whole entire life." Derek said.

"Not even Paige?" I surprisingly asked. He didn't even skip a beat.

"Not even Paige." He smiled at me and kissing my forehead.

And even though it felt like he was calling things off, it also felt as though somehow in the future, we would have our chance together. He would wait. And maybe, the waiting would give us a "forever."

**********************************************************

THREE MONTHS LATER...........................................................

I had continued everything like nothing had happened over spring break. Summer had gone so quickly that didn't even get a chance to relax. It was the sweet season of fall and the leaves on the ground made a swooshing noise as Lydia and I hung out as usual on Fridays. I was wearing dark blue high-wasted jeggings and a tight fitting lace back teal long sleeved shirt with my white low top converse and a jean jacket with a black scarf. Lydia was wearing a short floral dress and her black heels with a jean jacket as well. Lydia told me that she could still wear dresses because it wasn't winter yet. Meanwhile, it was 58 degrees out and I didn't know how she wasn't just completely freezing.

"Trash or Treasure?" Lydia asked me holding up a light blue sweater that probably ended right above a pair of jeans.

"Ummm...Treasure. It would look cute on you." I smiled at her.

"Thanks babe. You always know what to say." She smiled back at me. After what had happened between all of us, we grew closer. Scott told me that Derek had talked nicely with Brody and didn't beat him to the pulp. I was a bit happy but part of me wasn't happy that Brody was talking with Derek. That meant that somewhere in the future, I would have to talk with him as well. And I didn't want to.

"You okay?" Lydia asked me.

"Better than I've ever been." I smiled at Lydia.

"Good," She said after paying for her sweater.

"Let's go. We are going to get Starbucks." She tugged on my arm and pulled me all the way to Starbucks. I'll admit Lydia could get annoying sometimes but so does every other best friend right?

"I'll take a venti hot regular latte." I spoke to the man as Lydia ordered after I did. I treated her to Starbucks because I knew it would make her happy. We sat down sipping our hot coffees in the process. Shopping with Lydia was like a job. So we took a break and sat in the corner booth, putting our bags on one side of the booth and sitting on the other.

"So what's up with Derek?" Lydia asked me, raising her eyebrows up and down multiple times.

"I could ask the same for you and Stiles. Anyways you ask me this every time we come here. Don't you get tired of asking? I tell you the same thing anyways." I laughed.