Friends

"Thank you Phil" Dan said as he swallowed the pills that Phil had bought him.

"I want you to get better soon" Phil said with a smile.

Dan smiled at his best friend. Phil was such an angel always taking care of him and making sure he was all right and that made Dan feel special in a way like he meant something more to him than a friend. But he was wrong, they were just 'friends'.

"Are you cold?" Phil asked Dan.

"Yeah a bit" Dan answered.

"Scoot over" Phil said and climbed into the bed and snuggled up pulling Dan's body closer. Dan felt much warmer.

"Does this help?" Phil asked.

"Yeah it does" Dan answered.

"I knew it would" Phil said sitting back and stroking Dan's back slowly.

Dan smiled and rested his head on Phil's shoulder as Phil pushed back Dan's hair. This was something they did quite a lot and Dan didn't like to think that it meant something. They were just platonic friends who were comfortable enough with each other to sleep together and innocently cuddle or snuggle. They loved each other till that level and didn't mind sleeping with each other. In fact they mostly slept together while watching a movie in either of their room and then falling asleep. But they were just friends. Nothing more.

"Your hair looks so good when it's curly" Phil said running his hands through his hair.

"No it doesn't" Dan said.

"Why do you even hate it?"

"It's just so ugly" Dan answered.

Phil laughed and kissed Dan's head. It was another way of them showing affection to each other. Kissing each other on their cheeks or forehead but every time it happened Dan would blush though he still knew it meant nothing.

They sat cuddled up talking a bit when Dan's growling stomach interrupted the silence.

"Seems like someone's hungry huh" Phil said with a grin.

"I am very hungry indeed" Dan said laughing.

"You are sick, I will make you some chicken soup" Phil said.

"Thanks, you are the best" Dan said throwing his arms around his friend.

Phil laughed and got up

"I'll be right back" he said kissing Dan's head and left.

Dan sighed and sat back. Were they only friends? Sure he had loads of friends all his life but none of them treated him like Phil did. Nobody could put up with his various quirks nor would they cuddle him with or kiss him like Phil did. He never slept on the same bed as his friends. None of his friends loved him like Phil did. He knew there was a limit to everything and Phil loved him a lot more than he ever had someone to love him.

Dan knew in the back of his mind that they were never friends. They were something more. It was a different thing that Dan couldn't explain himself. He knew they could be anything if he wanted to. And he knew he could stop thinking about Phil in that way but it wasn't easy and he knew they tried to hide it and no one would find out if everything went wrong and they would be safe and no one would know what they went through together but it was hard at times to look at Phil and realize that he could be someone else's and fall in love with anybody and leave Dan to be. What would he do then?

"Danny" Phil said appearing in his bedroom carrying a tray with soup in it.

He sat down on the bed and opened the lid. The delicious smell wafted in the air.

Dan sneezed at that moment and Phil immediately lent him a tissue to clean up.

"Do you want me to feed you?" he asked.

'It's fine Phil" Dan said.

"I don't mind Dan" Phil said as he took a spoonful of the soup and held it close to Dan's mouth. Dan ate it.

"Is it too hot?" Phil asked.

Dan shook his head no.

Phil smiled as he held another spoonful to Dan's mouth. With that slowly Dan finished all the soup.

"Good boy" Phil said.

Dan laughed loudly.

Phil laughed too as he gave Dan a glass of water and Dan gulped it down.

"How are you feeling now?"

"Much better" Dan said with a smile.

Phil smiled as he took the tray to the kitchen and returned to the bedroom.

"I think you should rest now" Phil said tucking Dan into his bed like a pampered child.

"Yeah" Dan said with a sigh resting his head on the pillow.

"I will leave now" Phil said.

"Yeah bye. Thank you for everything"

"I don't mind Dan" he said closing the door.

It was better this way and Dan knew it. Friends are better of sleeping in different beds and maintaining an appropriate distance and should not kiss each other and  there is a limit to everything. But no friend loved him like Phil did.

With that thought looming in his head he fell asleep but he didn't hear his best friend from the other side of the door whispering,

"I love you Dan" and turning back to his room with a sigh thinking that he was better off alone in his room as friends should maintain distance

They never were friends but neither could tell the other.

A/N: Inspired by Ed Sheeran - Friends. :)
Dedicated to Fandomiology106 because of all her comments. Thank you <3
I have a question. Do you guys prefer first person or third person? Or anything is fine.