Spirits

Halloween was Phil Lester’s favourite time of the year.

And it was not because he would get to dress up as someone, carve pumpkins or go to a party.

It was because it was the only day that Phil could be in the outside world.

Phil was dead. Had been for the past five years and he got only one day out of the whole year to be with humans and feel as if he was normal and not some lonely spirit in the world where he couldn’t even be seen by anyone.

He stared at his reflection in a mirror of a store. He looked well horrifying.

The deep cut on his forehead looked as fresh as ever, His lip split in half and there was dried blood on his neck.

His shirt was ripped half from one side and there was bloodstains all over his shirt and his black jeans though not as visible.

Since it was Halloween no one would notice anyhow and would think all of this was just really good makeup.

But they were wrong.

Phil walked down on the street. Despite being able to be somewhat normal on Halloween it didn’t do
anything to lessen the loneliness he felt.

While other spirits pounced at the chance of drinking and partying with other humans in some bar and then find someone to hook up with Phil
wasn’t like that at all. He was different even when he was alive and things were still the same.

So he usually sat in some park watching little kids trick-o-treat. He would get some candy and eat them and just immerse himself in real air until dawn when he had to go back to the stuffy spirit world.

And even this year he walked down to the Central Park of the town he had grew up in where he had so many memories. He also wanted to see his
parents and his brother but he had learnt that they had left the town and moved to somewhere else after Phil’s death.

He didn’t even know where they went and that only added to his pain.

Phil walked inside sitting on the little bench with some candy. It was quite serene as there were only a few people around. He did get a few odd
looks as to why someone as well dressed as him was sitting alone in the park. He ignored them.

An hour later he saw someone else enter in the park. It was too dark to even see his face but Phil knew it was a boy. He slowly walked towards the
same spot as Phil and wordlessly sat down.

Phil looked at the boy whose brown hair partly covered his hair had red streaks in it and the other side of his  face looked as if a chunk of it was
taken off.The blood was down till the neck and there were little rips in his shirt.

He had taken a great deal of effort in dressing up that it almost looked too real.

“What are you looking at?” the boy asked his brown eyes widening at Phil.
“Nothing I am just looking. Your makeup is quite cool”

“Thanks” the boy said dryly. “I did it myself”

“That’s quite cool”

“Yeah, yours isn’t that bad too. Did you do it yourself”

“I um I yeah...” Phil lied.

“Cool”

“Yeah”

“I am Dan by the way” he said outstretching his hand.

“Oh I am Phil” taking his hand and shaking it.

His hands were uncharacteristically cold for a human but Phil guessed it was the wind because this boy was barely dressed anyway.

“Why are you here on Halloween? Shouldn’t you be out there celebrating? You even took the effort
to dress up”