Procedure

{ Loki }

Pacing back and forth in front of the healers room, I can't help but wonder what's going on. They wouldn't let me in with them as they do the procedure. They told me how long approximately it would take and when I would be able to see her.
As I wait, a million thoughts and emotions fly into my head only to leave seconds later. They only started half an hour ago, and already I've cried laughed and felt the need to punch something. Or someone. 

I hope she comes back, this is really messing with my  head.

Occasionally I stop by the doors, trying to hear something, but those doors are the most soundproof things I've ever encountered.

I glance at the clock every few minutes feeling worried. Its only been 30 minutes, I remind myself they said it could take up to 2 hours. Maybe more. Then I continue pacing.

This goes on for hours.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally the door opens and a healer comes out beckoning me to come in. I quickly enter the room.

"We just have to wait a few minutes," she says as I sit down in my regular chair by the bed, "that's how it worked the first time."

As I wait, I stare at Layana intently, determined to notice even the slightest sign of her returning life. So far, nothing. Not even the slightest twitch.

After ten or so minutes of this I get up and start to pace, wondering when it will be considered too long.

After twenty minutes, some of the healers are beginning to look somewhat nervous. Seeing them look like that makes me all the more uneasy.

After half an hour all of the healers seem rather uneasy.

I begin to worry more than I already was and can't help but feel somewhat guilty and selfish for not letting her rest in piece.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After an hour, the healer's get up and one of them looks me in the eye and says those painful words.

"I'm sorry,  " its funny how these three words hurt more than anything in the world when they come from a healer, "we'll leave you to be with her."

Then they clear out of the room leaving me alone with Layana.  Again.

I sit down in the chair utterly defeated. I could feel the tears form and I don't fight it as they slip out and roll down my cheeks.

"I'm sorry, Layana, " I whisper to her still lifeless body, "I'm so so sorry"

I gently grab her hand and try to remember all the fun we had together.

I should pick a rose for her.

Smiling through my tears I let go of her hand, and get up. I turn to leave the room only to hear the sounds of sputtering and coughing coming from behind me.

I freeze, a smiling forming on my lips.

Layana.