Home

{ Layana }

The last few days were excruciatingly boring and the only food I was allowed to eat was the disgusting kind you have to eat when you are sick.

But now, I get to leave. I can go back to my room and sleep in my own bed. Things are finally getting back to normal.

My dad and uncle Thor come into the room when the healers say I am allowed to leave. They waste no time in picking me up and running out of the room.

"Where are we going? " I ask through my many fits of laughter.

They just exchange a knowing look and keep running.

I shake my head, realizing that they are probably not going to tell me. Instead of asking them again, I just let my constant giggles echo in the empty golden halls.

We run outside and through the gardens, and then I see it. In the middle of the garden, there is a beautiful picnic. There is a feast and all of my friends and family.

I look at my dad in confusion, "Whats this for?"

He smiles that mischievous grin he always has and replies, "Today is a very special day for two reasons. The day you come back home and your birthday."

I put my hand over my mouth in suprise. How did I ever forget about my birthday?

When he sees the look on my face he starts laughing.

"Don't tell me that in all of the excitement, you forgot about your birthday!" My dad says through his laughter.

I smile. "I guess I did."

Thor puts me down and we all go to the blanket set out on the ground.

During the party, there is a lot of laughter and jokes. Everyone has gathered to celebrate my return and after all I've been through, lately, this is just what I need to calm down.

Everyone complements me on my outfit, though I am still wearing what the healers put on me. I laugh saying that it was my favourite outfit in my entire wardrobe. They laugh as well.

The food is delicious and we eat it with beautiful music playing in the background. I'm surprised we can still hear it over the voices of all the people who came.

All too soon though, it ends and everyone goes home, leaving my dad and I alone in the garden.

"Well, Layana, what did you think of your birthday party?" He asks, walking over to me and pulling me in for a hug.

During our hug, I feel him wrap something around my neck.

The biggest smile I've had since before this whole thing happened, spreads on my face and I begin to laugh.

"It was perfect. What's this?" I say, fiddling with the necklace he placed on me.

"That was your mother's favorite necklce. She wore it all the time."

He laughs and lifts me up, beginning to spin me. He does it carefully, so as to not hurt me, but with still enough speed to make it fun.

"It is so good to be back home." I sigh.

He puts me down and looks me in the eyes, before replying.

"I am never going to let you go again."

I can tell he means it and for just a moment, I forget everything. The worries I had about the thing holding me back from dying. The worries about what the frost giants might do to my dad for leaving before they had their revenge. Just for a moment, everything is perfect as his vow repeats itself over and over in my head.

I am never going to let you go again.