Chapter Eighteen: Capacity

Hi,

I'm really sorry this is so short but the next chapter is going to be long and Mega exciting (I can't stop thinking about it). I needed to break because it would've been way to long and I didn't want to leave you on a cliff hanger. But I hope yyou still like it. I also need one more sentence to complete this chapter but I have no idea what to say so please if you have any ideas don't stay quite.

Vote, comment, feedback or fan :) THANK YOU

****************

Chapter Eighteen

“So we are going to start with the simple, more basic region of your powers. As you know you can control electric forces, including static electricity, lighting, and some electrical appliances. We’re going to start with static. In small proportions it is harmless but everything can get out of control.” He said turning the light on.

“You’re not strong enough to be able to use your own body energy  so you must take the power from something else then you can use that energy and develop it to your super power. You take, and then give back,” he explained. I sat on a chair in the middle of the room, listening silently as he spoke.

“What I want you to do is take the power out of this light bulb,” he finished, pointing at the light.

I shifted in my seat, getting ready to stand up. “No stay sitting, for safety reasons. The chair is made of plastic so it can insulate electricity,” Henry said. Sitting back down I stared up at the bright light whose energy I was meant to drain.

“Concentrate hard. Try to think of what you were doing when you used your powers in the past,” Harry said.

I furrowed my eyebrows, concentrating straight at the light bulb, my hands gripping the chair. I swear for a second I saw the light flicker but in a blink it back to normal, almost mocking my poor attempts.

“Imagine you are sucking the power out with a straw, just like you would if you were having a drink,” he watched me carefully.

I took a deep breath, relaxing my muscles. I felt confidence flood through my body as I looked up at the bulb. I imagined sucking  the energy through every pore in my body.

I stared the bulb down, and then suddenly....nothing happened. Not even one flicker. I grumbled, my body deflating in defeat.

Suddenly a loud bang made me jump out of my seat in shock. I just had enough time to look at the window, now covered in purple slime, before the lights went out; small shards of glass fell around me. A shiver ran through my body.

“Ranger?” I heard Henry ask worriedly.

“Yeah, I’m over here. What happened?” I asked.

“I think that, my friend, was you using your power.” He said.

“Oh.” I said astonished. “Now what?”

-------------------

“I believe that, as an amateur, your best way of using your ability is by unlocking your emotions,” he watched me in the chair once again.”Think of something that gives you high emotional stress. Like something you love...or hate.”

As soon as the word left his lips my mind flashed to my parents. Watching as my father abused me and my mother looking on idly. I growled, as anger flooded through me but instead of keeping it in my head I aimed it at the light. Instantly the light blinked off, my body tingled as it sucked in the unnatural energy.

“Good, good. Now try to turn it into static electricity.,” Henry applauded my progress.

So I looked up, just above his head and pictured my power being drawn out of me to hover above his hair.

 I know the basic concepts of static electricity, so if I was right this should work. Sure enough his hair began to rise, trying to strip themselves of electrons. They rose, as if they were on strings, until they stood straight.

“Well done, very well done,” he looked upwards.

Suddenly an image of my father dragging me along the floor by my hair caught my vision. I screamed remembering how painful it had been.

“Ranger?” Henry asked. I kept screaming, the memory taking over. Closing my eyes I was flashed images of the countless times I'd been beaten.

“Hey, calm down,” I felt Henry grab my shoulders as I started shaking uncontrollably. This only reminded me of my parents icy hands grabbing me in the dark.

“Stop, you’re starting to drain your own energy,” Henry forced.

My eyes flew open and I instantly relaxed. I felt tired, my muscles like led weight. Looking up at Henry I couldn’t help but crack a small smile, he looked like a mad scientist, his hair spiked up in wispy tufts.

“You okay?” He asked concerned.

“Sorry, first time using my powers, something’s has to go wrong,” I said with a reassuring smile, though at the same time my mind was trying to calm down from the trauma.

“I think that’s enough for today, you’ve done very well,” he complemented before walking out of the room. I stood up, testing my legs, taking a deep breath I followed him out of the room.

We were nearing the gym when I heard a loud bang and a cat yelp. The door in front of us sprang open and out walked Sasha, covered from head to foot in soot. Her eyes narrowed and her lips drew into a menacing growl.

A moment later Pip come out of the room with a horrified expression plastered on her face. She started madly trying to pat the soot of Sasha’s back.

“I’m so sorry,” Pip squealed.

Sasha just growled, turning away and walking past us down the hall.

“Oh gosh. What have I done?” Pip cried.

“Let her go, she’s just in one of her moods.” Henry reassured Pip. “Come on, lessons nearly over.” Henry said.