Chapter Thirty-Six: Part 3

I know this is only short but it makes a bit more sense to seperate it from the others and I also prefer it this way.

THIS IS NOT THE LAST CHAPTER

Part 3

‘Claire?’

She was still sitting on her knees, starring at the dead girl in front of her with an empty expression.

She didn’t look up when I walked towards her, but as soon as I touched her shoulder she collapsed into me.

‘Ranger, I’m sorry, I’m so sorry,’ she said hoarsely as she engulfed me in a hug that left us half lying on the ground. I tried to ignore the eerie words she used, mimicking those of her victim. ‘Miffy wouldn’t have wanted this.’

‘Is your sister really dead?’ I asked cautiously.

I felt Claire nod.

‘I don’t want you to worry about this. We’ve all done bad things…really bad things, but we had to. It was either them or us, and I know that’s not much of an excuse but we’re humans and our instinct is to survive. We are driven through life following others, our thoughts, our memories, and our emotions, and sometimes we can’t always think fast enough. We all make mistakes but you cannot go back on this,’ my mind went briefly back to all the stories the mind reading girl had told.

‘I know it wouldn’t be right to forget about this, because it did happen, so the best we can do is deal with it and just get on with our lives as best we can, never making the same mistake again. Miffy would’ve wanted you to use the rest of your life as an opportunity for the both of you,’ I had no idea where this was coming from but I knew it was the right thing to say. I guess I was also saying it to myself.

‘But…but…’ Claire stumbled with her words.

‘No, do not regret, because you can never go back. All you can do is move forward. For Miffy?’

Claire nodded again and agreed with me. ‘For Miffy.’

Sitting up I pulled Claire to her feet, holding to her waist in fear that her legs would collapse. We began to stumble out of the clearing, the rain finally easing. Claire tried to look back at the dead girl but I stopped her.

‘No, you must move forward.’