Chapter Thirty-Six: Part 2

Claire had fallen, and so too had her powers. The boy who’d been paralysed ran, not daring to look back. The vines relaxed and I scrambled to land on my feet without injuring myself. The others did too, gasping for breath as they knelt to the ground.

Rain began to fall; at the same time a bell rang. It was old and sounded rusty, echoing into the open sky as we looked to the heavens.

‘It’s over,’ Sasha whispered, closing her eyes to the cold water that ran down her face and arms.

‘Pardon?’

‘The bell signals safety, we’re safe.’

Pip had curled herself in the grass, sobs rocking through her body but the sound being drowned out by the bell. Taylor sat hunched over, his eyes never leaving the ground. Aiden was starring into the darkened sky, his face void of emotion. Jett was at the cracks edge, peering into the blackness below with a sort of confused look.

I stood, the water drenching my clothes, and shuffled back to the trees. The invisible girl had long since gone, fleeing the Academy with the rest of her school that had survived.

I was safe.

But that didn’t stop me jumping when I felt someone behind me. I turned in time to see Blaze briefly before he scooped me into a hug.

‘Ranger,’ he said gruffly as he clung to me. I could feel my wet clothes seeping into his semi dry ones but neither of us seemed to care. I was grateful to have his arms around me, pulling me close and nestling his head into my hair. I rested my head against his shoulder, closing my eyes as the few drops of rain that managed to fall through the canopy of trees dropped onto us.

I knew he was crying, as was I, but we said nothing because they were hidden beneath the rain and I was happy that the thin veil was shielding others from my emotions. It seemed like such a long time ago since the whole thing started.

At that moment something fell within me, something I had held so tightly for so long. I had never felt close to anyone before, but I knew my friends were something I’d never had before; they were special.

Time passed and the bell finally stopped ringing but the rain did not falter, it only fell harder.

When we finally pulled away my eyes were red and puffy, my face probably drained of any colour but the blue tint of my lips from the cold.

Blaze looked the same but I didn’t care, and when he leaned in I let him. In one shinning moment I felt high above the school, away from all the pain and anger that had taken hold, and only felt the pure bliss of something new.

He kissed me.