Chapter Twenty-One: Blink

Chapter Twenty  One

“We’ve been so lucky.” I said breathlessly.

“Yeah but luck runs out,” Blaze said, taking his hand out of mine.

“Will they come after us?” I asked as we walked along the street, keeping to the shadows as best we could.

“No, they just want to get to the next clue,” he said, his eyes darted worriedly.

As we walked past a small ally I was pulled towards a tiny tree that was growing at the side. It looked out of place in its grey surroundings. Turning I made my way towards it, forgetting all about Blaze. As I got closer I realised that the tree was cut perfectly so the branches made a round ball. I noticed grass gathered around the bottom with colourful flowers popping up everywhere. It was like a beautiful oasis in a desert of concrete. There was something large resting in the centre of this gathering and I realised it was a body, a girl to be exact.

She was lying on her side, eyes closed with her dark blond hair splayed out behind her. I knelt down and gently touched her shoulder. What I didn’t expect was that my fingers would go through her! Pulling my hand back I looked down, my hand tingling slightly. Again I reached forward and again my hand fell through as if she was a projection.

“She’s always one of the first to go,” Blaze said, coming up from behind me. “Her powers aren’t much use in these games though they are pretty.” He bent down and gently brushed his hand against one of the flowers

“We should go,” I said abruptly, looking back down the street.

“We need to get to the school,” he agreed, slowly standing up.

“I just don’t get why it’s such a rush.”

“Each time, there is one less clue, therefore one group misses out. If your group doesn’t make it to a clue before the last one is taken then your whole group gets pulled out of the game. That’s why we need to get there quickly,” Blaze explained. Giving one final look at the girl we crept back to the street.

“Why do they leave the bodies here?” I asked.

“I think they do it as I reminder to all of us, or it’s just to keep track of who dies,” he answered, trailing his hand against the wall.

“We need to start moving quicker,” Blaze started jog. “You do know where the school is, right?” He asked as I followed.

“It’s...” I spun around, trying to work out which direction it was. “...East?” I had no idea which way it was.

“We’re so screwed,” Blaze slapped his head, but then stopped walking and looked ahead, his eyes following something. A large dark shape ran across the street, luckily moving away from us. It was another group, I couldn’t tell which one.

“What do we do?” I whispered to him as we crouched down behind a chunk of building that had fallen off.