Chapter Twenty-Five: Pointed teeth

Chapter Twenty Five 

The hospital looked quite similar to the one at school. We were standing in a corridor; the walls were a bland white with some of the plaster peeling off. The fluorescent lights flickered and swayed from an unknown breeze. The lights gave off an eerie glow, which reflected the strange silence.

“So, what’s in the clue?” Taylor asked Aiden after taking in his surroundings.

“Ah.” Aiden opened the capsule to find the screen inside. It flashed green then settled on blue, the words flashed before our eyes.

‘They’re coming. The hero must always choose between himself and what is right.’

The words faded away and we all stood in silence as we processed the clue.

“How the hell do we know where the next clue is? That was a stupid clue,” Grace complained.

“Maybe we need to move on, it may come up later,” Sasha said, looking around the hall.

“That’s right, but which way?” Pip pointed the two directions we could go.

As I looked down the hall I noticed a blinking light go out. The corridor went on for a long time, and as I watched the lights started switching off. One after the other they got closer to where we were standing.

“Guys, the lights are turning off,” I shouted and for some reason I started running away from the darkness.

“Oh my god, everyone run. Don’t go into the shadows,” Sasha yelled and they all sprinted after me.

Our feet pounded against the lino, the only sound in the desolate place. Brushing past the wall, I watched the paint crumble away. Underneath was rough grey concrete, though there was a streak of red across the part that I could see, but before I could ponder on it any further I was pushed along by the others.

Glancing back my eyes grew wide as I noticed that the darkness had caught up. Turning back around I realised doors were lining the corridor, plain white ones that you would find in a hospital. They were all closed and on every door there was a small symbol.

“You’re falling behind, Ranger,” Aiden shoved me to keep up.

“We can’t go on like this forever,” Taylor shouted. As he said it an intersection come into sight. Four corridors joined up and we formed a circle at the point. The lights were still on and bright where we were but I didn’t know how long that would last.

“Which way?” Pip coughed.

“This way,” Grace screamed before turning left and just running. I turned to Sasha who just shrugged before chasing after her.

We all followed but it wasn’t very soon until we were stopped. Darkness came up the corridor towards us and glancing back there was one coming the other way. It was like it was trying to corner us, nowhere to run nowhere to hide.