Chapter Twenty-Six: The Game Ends

Chapter twenty six

I ran alone. Nobody was there but me, at least nobody that I knew of. They split you up, force you away, and then they attack. I didn’t know what they did with the people; those ghost things dragged their person away to who knows where.

My feet pounded against the lino, my heart pounding just as fast. The darkness was gaining, closing in for its kill. My hair whipped around my face as I looked back but that only made my heart race further.

One of my fingers traced the outline of the marks along my neck, they stung painfully and felt red raw.

Suddenly I was thrown backwards to the opposite wall. My head jutted back as a searing pain followed. A laugh erupted from beside me; I looked to be faced by three boys and a girl. They smirked as they watched me squirm and push against the unknown force that held me to the wall.

“Well what do we have here?” One of the boys sneered leaning into me. I looked at him angrily, not speaking a word. The lights had turned back on; my ghost was nowhere to be seen.

“We’re wasting our time, just kill her already,” one of the other boys complained. I started thrashing madly, trying to get out of the hold but it was like a giant hand was pressing me back. The girl stepped up, standing in front of me, and cocked her head to the side.

I knew I had to try to get my power or I would be dead within seconds. Squeezing my eyes shut I tried drawing the power from the fluorescent light that hung above us. It was no use, my mind wasn’t focused enough.

“Bye bye pretty girl.” The girl in front of me smiled. Raising her arm to my head, her hand opened, I waited in anticipation. In a swift motion she closed her fingers and everything went dark.

“Ranger,” someone shook me awake. My eyes fluttered open, my dark lashes beating slightly as my eyes focused in the harsh light. Grace stood above me, her face screwed up worriedly.

I sat up steadily, gazing around the room. It was the room that I had started in, the one where we went into the game. Most of my team were still in their seats, they looked like they had just woken up from a deep sleep.

“Damn, why can’t we win just once? It’s always the mentals or bodies,” Jett threw up a hand angrily.

I looked around the room for a second, my gaze landing on one figure in particular.

“Blaze,” I yelled happily, giving him a big wave. He looked at me for a second, nodded, and then slumped back into his chair with his eyes closed.

“How far did you get? I’ve been awake for like a whole minute,” Grace peered in excitedly.

“Um some of the mental team got me I think. I didn’t get to the last level,” I said after a second. Grace sighed annoyed but her smile soon came back on.

“Wait, but you got caught twenty minutes ago?” I asked confused. How could she be waiting only a minute for me to wake up when her ghost caught her again 20 minutes ago?