1

Scott went to his first day at Gas Mart, the local gas station. He was starting school in a couple weeks and needed money for the new school year. This was his first job, because he just turned 16.

Scott got in his new car, with his new license and was on his way. When he got there he grabbed his jacket and entered through a special door for workers only.

Since he was opening the store, he unlocked the doors and stood behind the counter, waiting for customers.

"Good morning." His boss said as he entered the door, about to show him around. "I'm not really going to make you do anything special because I'm in a hurry. All you need to do is man the register, and I'll have your co worker Kevin do the rest."

Scott nodded and smiled, "I know how to make change so that won't be a problem, sir."

"Oh please, call me Avi." The boss said.

Scott smiled, knowing he got on his bosses good side. When Avi left, his co worker Kevin came in.

"Well hello, you must be Scott." Kevin smiled. "I'm Kevin, as you might already know, and I'll be one of your co workers!"

"It's a pleasure to meet you." Scott replied.

"Customers don't usually show up until a little bit after 8, so we have time to get to know each other." Kevin stated. "For starters, I am 21 years old, a man of God, and have hopes of going to Yale."

"I am 16 years old, going into high school in a couple of weeks as a sophomore, and just want to save up money for the new school year." Scott replied.

"Ah, very nice, what do you like to do in your free time?" Kevin asked.

"I like to sing, I don't really play that many sports except beach volleyball occasionally, but I like all the nerd stuff. I practically live off Star Wars, and my biggest accomplishment was solving a Rubik's cube." Scott laughed.

Kevin chuckled as well, "I don't sing but I would say I'm a pretty decent beatboxer, but I can tell you and I are going to get along just fine. I thought you would be one of those cocky teenage boys that don't care about anything, I'm glad your not."

Scott smiled and directed his attention to the first customer they had. Scott waved at the old lady picking out some gum. As Kevin went to the back to get boxes and start filling up he empty shelves.

"Just this for you today?" Scott asked politely.

The lady smiled and nodded and handed a five dollar bill to Scott as he told her the total.

The lady took her item and was on her way, after receiving her change.

Scott sighed and looked back at Kevin, "I'm glad that was an easy start."

Kevin chuckled, "She comes in every day at the same time, always getting the same thing. It's a little weird."

Scott laughed, "How busy does it usually get?"

"Since we're close to the interstate, pretty busy around one since everyone is stopping from their road trips to eat lunch. And at the end of the day, you get the kids who think their cool because their out past their bed times, and in the mornings you get the middle aged to old people picking up their essentials for the day." Kevin told Scott.

Scott nodded and messed with the side of his sleeve.

"So who's the lucky girl?" Kevin said with a smirk.

Scott got a red face, "Actually, I'm gay."

Kevin looked at him and nodded, "Oh."

"Your not like against that or anything right?" Scott asked worried that he and Kevin won't be on good terms.

Kevin looked at him with a hint of concern in his face. "Oh no, you were born that way I get it. I just wasn't expecting from you, caught me off guard is all."

Scott let out a sigh of relief. "That's good, if we were gonna be co workers I wouldn't want you to not like me."

Kevin set down the now empty box and walked to the back to fetch another.

"Well what about the lucky guy?" Kevin asked, changing his question.

"Nonexistent." Scott said.

"Awe he's out there, give it time." Kevin responded. "So who are your friends?"

Scott grinned a little, "Um, well I don't really have that many. I would say my best friend is Kirstie Maldonado, but it doesn't venture too far out of that circle."

Kevin walked out of the back room, now holding another box of canned foods. "I would say the same about myself."

Scott nodded, looking at the door as if opened.

Scott broke out into a huge smile as he saw his best friend walking towards him. "You weren't lying when you said you got he job!" Kirstie yelled.

Scott laughed walking out from behind the counter to give Kirstie a hug, "We were just talking about you."

"We?" Kirstie asked.

"Oh that's right, meet my co worker, Kevin." Scott said pulling Kirstie over to Kevin.

"Oh hello!" Kevin said excitedly, putting his box down to shake Kirstie's hand.

Kirstie ignored it, and gave Kevin a huge bear hug. Kevin smiled and wrapped his arms around her small frame.

"I'm a hugger, sorry!" Kirstie said sheepishly.

Kevin laughed, straightening his vest. He the picked up his box and got back to work.

"My mom just sent me in here to pick up bread, so I got to get going!" Kirstie stated while picking up a loaf and handing it to Scott to check out.

"It was nice meeting you Kevin!" Kirstie excitedly buzzed, handing Scott the money.

"And your change." Scott mumbled.

"Keep it scooter." Kirstie smiled. "Congrats on the job!"

Scott put the money in the tip jar, and thanked Kirstie on her way out.

When she left Kevin spoke up, "Well she's a ball of energy."

"And that she is!" Scott replied.

~
Alright alright alright... Enjoy!