Chapter 5- A Talk

Jesse's POV

I sit on top of Petra's hut in the forest that she built just in front of the cave.

Everything inside me feels like something is wrong, and I can't help but find myself agreeing with that.

I was dead. Dead for crying out loud. Now all of a sudden I'm back?

None of this makes any sense.

I look up at the stars, trying to think back to when I was dead.

Though no memories come to mind, an emotion does.

Happiness.

I was happy up there, or where ever I was.

Now I was dragged back, and I can't even figure out why.

The worst part is, every time I close my eyes I keep re-living my death.

I hear myself shouting to someone, but I can never see them.

My vision gets to blurry.

All I remember is that my death is basically my own fault.

"Jesse? What are you doing up here? Its late." Petra asks, climbing up the ladder to sit next to me.

I continue to stare up at the stars, feeling overwhelmed by everything.

"How did you know I was going to be in the river?" I ask, looking over at her.

She looks confused for a minuet.

"Well I did know that someone was in the river, but I didn't know who, or what it was going to be." She confesses.

There is something about Petra, that honestly, reminds me of myself deep down.

But I barely know who I am.

I know my name and how I died.

That's about it.

"Okay. But how did you know?" I restate, making her look up at the stars.

"My..... Father. He came to me in a dream. He told me that someone was coming, and that I needed to protect that person. He also said something about the mark on your arm, but before I can explain that I need to figure out what exactly it means." She mutters, stretching with a yawn.

I sigh.

None of this makes any sense.

"So, what exactly happened to everyone in the town I came from?" I ask, thinking about how I could at least remember where I came from.

Petra stares up at the stars.

"To explain this you need to hear the whole story." She says, starting to tell the story.

But before she can even utter a word, Jess comes into sight, looking up at us on the roof.

"Jess? Is everything okay?" Petra asks him, looking down from the roof.

He nods, but his eyes travel to me.

"Jesse, can I talk to you?" He asks, looking hopeful.

My gaze moves to Petra, almost as if waiting for her to say something.

She gestures for me to go and I get up, climbing down the ladder.

Jess waits for me and we walk off.

As we do I can feel Petra watching as we leave.

"So something has been bothering since you showed up last night." He confesses, making me a bit confused.

"What is it?" I ask, not really sure if I want to know.

Just talking to Jess makes my shoulder seer in pain, making me look over at it.

I pull up my sleeve to see the purple inmprints glowing brightly and I cover it, hoping that he doesn't notice.

My hand covers it, wincing as the pain radiates as he starts talking again.

"You remind me a lot of my older sister." He says, making me surprised.

According to Petra Jess never talked about his past.

So why talk to me?

"She was brave, funny, and could make anyone like her in an instant of talking to them. You seem to be able to do and be all those things." He continues.

The longer he drags on this conversation, the more it hurts by the second.

"Plus, you look just like her." He continues.

Now my head seems to start to hurt as well, making me feel a bit dizzy.

"Wh-what happened to her?" I stutter, feeling like I might fall over.

He seems to be considering telling me.

"Well, you see, we were walking around in the forest one day, just like every other day. She, she went too close to the edge of the great river." He says, making my heart beat faster and faster.

"She slipped, and she couldn't hold on. The ground, it was...... crumbling away." He says, sounding like telling this story makes him feel pain.

Hearing this story makes me feel pain.

"I-I wasn't strong enough. I couldn't pull her up. If I had just gone to get help sooner maybe she would still be alive." He mutters, making my head spin.

"Jess! You're not strong enough! Go get mom, dad, anyone! Just go!"

I feel dizzy as the memory adjusts to a smaller looking Jess standing in front of me as I fall into the raging water.

My feet suddenly can't support me and I fall, blacking out.

.....

Well. I just made a huge mistake. Cliff hangar. Sorry. I hope you guys liked the chapter and I will try to updat