Chapter 10- Shunned

Jess' POV

"They have been gone for hours Olivia! I'm worried!" I shout from the main room.

Olivia hiffs as she walks in from her bedroom.

"Jess, I hate to say it, but you're becoming an overprotective brother." She jokes, making me roll my eyes.

"I know that Petra is probably with her, but she could need help, or be in danger, or something!" I retort, making Axle storm into the room, looking pretty mad that we woke him up.

Before Axle can tell us to shut up, voices catch all of out attention.

"No. I don't think they will understand." Jesse says to someone.

Her voice is unmistakable.

"I know, but they will find out eventually. Besides Jesse, they need to know." Petra tries to reason with her.

The voices get closer and closer to the treehouse.

"No. Its bad enough that I freaked them out with the whole 'I'm back from the dead!' thing, this will be too much." Jesse says, sounding upset.

"Also, remember what Soren said, I have to do it alone anyway." She continues.

We share a look.

Petra wouldn't trust Soren to watch a piece of dirt, why the heck would they go to him for advice?

"Who cares what he said? You know what I say, we do this in a high number, we get the Ocelots to help us, and boom! You got your plan!" Petra says, the ladder starting to be climbed.

We scramble away, going back to the places we were in before they started getting back.

Petra gets inside first, and then she holds out her hand to Jesse.

When she reaches up to be pulled up, I notice that she has Petra's gloves on.

Why would Jesse wear Petra's gloves?

They look over to us and Jesse walks over.

"Hey Jess. Sorry. We went for a walk." She covers easily.

I don't believe her.

"Where did you really go?" I ask, crossing my arms.

She raises her eyebrow at me.

"Don't yoy trust me little brother?" She asks in a joking way.

Olivia and Axle back me up, making Jesse and Petra back up and stand together, looking ready for whatever we are about to throw at them.

"What were you two talking about?" I fire the first question.

Petra smiles.

"We were talking about how we accidentally ate the rest of Axle's cookies." She says, making Axle go check his room.

"They are all gone!" He shouts, coming back into the room even more pissed.

Well that checks out.

"Where did you guys go?" Olivia asks, her hands on her hips.

Jesse takes this one.

"We went to the plains. We wanted to watch the sun rise." Jesse says, looking a little far off, like her mind is on something else.

Her eyes are filled with pain, and I realize its not from saying what she just said.

"Jesse? Are you hurt?" I ask, walking forward.

Petra blocks Jesse, turning to look at her.

They share a look and Petra spins back around.

"Don't worry. She just got hit by an arrow. I'll get her fixed up." She says, sounding a little off.

I push past her going up to Jesse.

She is slightly taller than me, but she is slightly slouched and holds onto her shoulder.

I roll up her sleeve, seeing bandages.

"What are these from?" I ask her, making Petra look down at her shoes.

Olivia and Axle have joined us at this point.

She looks away from me, like she doesn't want to answer.

"Jess! Don't worry about it!" Petra says, sounding like she really wants me to drop it.

I won't.

"What are they from?" I ask again, making her sigh.

"When I came back to life, it came with a price." She mutters, taking off one of Petra's gloves from her hand.

A dragon egg is burned into her hand, making me take a step back.

Olivia and Axle gasp at the mark.

Petra rushes to her side, putting the glove back on and standing firmly beside her.

Axle shakes his head.

"I think I've read about marks like that. They often appear on people who come back from the dead." Axle says, making us all stare at him.

I narrow my eyes.

"What else did it say?" I ask, looking worriedly over at my sister.

She looks down at her feet.

"They often aren't who they say they are." Axle mutters, obviously in an odd place for saying this.

Petra looks so pissed at him that its almost unable to comprehend.

"She isn't pretending to be her! She is Jesse! Come on Jess. She's your sister. You have to believe her." Petra pleeds, sounding like I've never heard her before.

Jesse looks at me, eyes slightly watery.

Something inside me growls to not trust her.

"I'm sorry, but I can't believe you." I say, backing away from Jesse.

She has pain flashing through her eyes, but I can tell that Olivia and Axle are backing me up.

"Its best if you go." I mutter, making Jesse step forward.

Olivia flinches back, and Axle narrows his eyes.

She stares at me.

"Is that what you want?" She asks, her voice cracking.

I stare into her eyes, unable to pick up anything that reminds me of my sister.

"Leave. Its better for everyone if that dragon comes for you and you're not here." I mutter, making Petra's jaw drop.

Jesse simply nods, looking sad.

"Fine. I'll go." She whispers, walking. Towards the trap door.

Petra goes to follow, but Axle holds her back, making sure that she can't stop her.

.....

Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! So I learned that half of it was deleted, so now its there and I hope you liked it!

Bye;

-ThePurpleWarrior