Chapter 23: Don't Walk Away

Savannah's POV

"Honey who was at the door?" I hear Drew say as soon as Anthony closes the door behind him. I see Drew appear in the doorway and when he sees Anthony behind me, it looks like his eyes are going to pop out of his head. Drew rushes over to me and grabs my arm to pull me aside. 

"I don't think that Anthony should be here right now; your dad is still pretty fired up about what you said. Did you call him or why is he here?" 

"He just was here. I didn't call him or anything. You know what I said last night; we weren't on the best of terms when I left LA yesterday." I whisper. Drew moves his head away from my ear and goes over to Anthony. Drew whispers something in his ear and then starts to walk towards the kitchen. 

"I'm going to talk to Shane. You two," He paused, clearly not knowing what to do about Anthony being here with me, "stay here and don't say a word." 

As soon as Drew enters the kitchen, I go over to Anthony and wrap my arms around him. I get on my tip toes to my lips are at the same level as his ear. 

"What did Drew say to you?" I ask.

"He just said that I should probably keep on the down low while I am here, and to not spring anything too big on Shane." He whispers into my hair.

"Basically speaking, he was saying don't talk to my dad?" I whisper. 

"I guess you could say that." He replies, a smile popping up on his face.

We hear loud whispering coming from the kitchen and then my dad appears in the doorway. I see Drew's head appear over his shoulder and the look on his face says it all: Don't say a damn word about getting engaged. 

I guess that I made my dad more mad than I thought I did because the look on his face isn't very pleasant. He looks pissed. 

"Savannah, a word," My dad says, motioning towards the couch, "alone."

I look up at Anthony and nod my head. He walks over to the stairs and Drew follows him.

I watch them as they go up the stairs. All that I am wishing is that I didn't have to face this alone. To be honest, I am literally terrified about what is about to happen; sometimes my dad can be really harsh about things.

I sit down on the couch and my dad sits on the chair across from it. He opens his mouth to say something but I stop him.

"Listen, before you start to drill me on respect and cursing and whatever else you were going to drill me on, please just hear me out," I say, looking at my dad, who had a surprised look on his face, "I know that what I said was out of line, but you lying wasn't right either," 

"I know that," He says interrupting me.

"And I know that you were just trying to protect me because you know that I love him." 

"Savannah," My dad says, cutting me off, "would you just let me talk?"

"Yeah, fine." I say, sinking down into the couch. 

"Look, I know what I did was wrong. I'm really sorry honey. I know that you love him, but I still am not his biggest fan." He says.

"I think that the only reason that you don't like him is that you don't know him very well. We live halfway across the country and you guys barely talk. You don't know him like I do," I say, practically screaming, "You know, I am planning on marrying him one day whether you like it or not. It's my choice to make, not yours. I am the one marrying him." 

"Wow." 

"Wow what? You know that I love him. I have loved him for the past 3 years dad. Can't you see that?" I yell. 

"Wow, I'm surprised that you are actually standing up for yourself. You normally don't do that and yes I do see that," he says getting up from the chair, "but I still don't see what you see in him."

I have never been one to argue with my dad. I hate arguing with anybody period. (You see why these last couple of days have been a living hell for me?) Also, when I was a teenager, I wasn't one to stand up for myself. Yeah, I was one of the most outgoing people a person would know, but there is just something about standing up for myself that I never liked/wasn't good at. I just wasn't for some odd reason. 

When I moved to California, that started to change. I mean it had to if I was going to survive out there. I stood up for myself more and more, and my confidence level started to rise. I knew that this was a situation that I would have to stand up for myself, and Anthony for that matter. I mean, I had to try and convince my dad to be okay with me marrying him. Even if we were to get married, but my dad wasn't okay with it, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I have to have my dad's approval. 

My dad starts to walk away when I stand up and yell at him for the first time in a really long time. (Not counting yesterday, of course)

"Don't you dare walk away from me." 

He turns around with a surprised expression on his face, but I think my expression is even more surprised. 

My dad comes back over and sits in the chair. 

"Can you just hear me out here?" I ask, almost pleading for him to listen.

"Okay, what am I hearing out?" He answers. 

Then we just start to talk about things and try and sort things out. I ,finally, think that I got him convinced to be okay with me marrying Anthony.