Chapter 17 - He Saved Me

Tobias

"Good morning, Tris." I smile walking into the room. She blankly looks in my direction but her eyes never meet mine.

I sit down and take her hand in mine, but like yesterday she doesn't really hold it back, she just lets it sit there. It's just so hard to constantly see her in such pain.

"You're going to be okay, I know it. You are so strong and brave, and you have a really good and nice doctor that is going to do everything she can for you. I love you so much, Tris."

It's really hard to talk when she doesn't reply. I just never know what to say and I'm always wondering if she can even hear me or if she cares.

I'm sure all her mind is focused on is the pain, but I just don't know what to do.

Dr. Scott said that the best thing to do is just keep talking, that the sound of my voice is all it takes to make her calm, but what happens when you don't know how to keep talking?

"You know, everything is so different now. There still is the factions; we did try going without them but everything just fell apart. Divergents are accepted, and actually honored to most of us being faction leaders. GP's and GD's still really don't matter here. It's still just Divergents and non-Divergents. Just like before, if you defy sims or partially do like me, you're divergent, if you don't, you're not. I guess the Bureau did come up with some kind of theory on people over ninety percent Pure can defy sims but not be considered a GP, so I guess that's where I fall into. But thankfully, none of that matters here. No percents, no complications, no theories, nothing. It's such an easier way of living compared to the Bureau."

"Dauntless has such a better new leader. His name is Josh. You'd be amazed on how quickly he turned Dauntless from its old self into a prospering somewhat safe and sane faction. It's so much better than Max and Eric in charge. Josh is the main leader, but there is also five co-leaders of Dauntless and I am one of them. Amar was offered a leader position as well, but he decided to take on being an Ambassador with Tori's brother George."

I am about to go on telling her how George and Amar got married but there is a soft knock on the door.

"Hello." A middle aged nurse with blonde hair pulled back walks in smiling at me. "You must be Four. I'm Julie, Tris's nurse. Dr. Scott told me about you. It's nice to meet you." She puts her hand out for me to shake and I do.

"Nice to meet you too." I smile.

"I'm guessing it's time for me to go." I say.

"Yeah." She sadly smiles. "We'll let you come back in later today probably."

"Okay. I'll be around here somewhere."

I rub the top of Tris's hand with my thumb and lean down and kiss the side of her forehead.

"I'll see you later. I love you." I whisper in her ear.

As I am just about to let go of her hand, she grips it, clearly as a sign of her not wanting me to leave.

"It's okay, Tris. I'll be back later. You'll be fine."

"Please, no." She whispers in a raspy voice.

My heart sinks.