Chapter Three: Shattered

Peter's POV

Bruised and bloody, I quickly carry myself away from the crime scene as fast as I can, thinking of an excuse to tell Aunt May. I remember back when we were dating, I would always climb up Gwen's fire escape, and she would fix up whatever injuries I had. 

Gwen. I wished so hard I had the courage to say something to her earlier today. I could tell she wanted to say something too, but didn't know what. But she had nothing to say; she doesn't have anything to explain to me. For a second I actually consider going to Gwen's apartment, but quickly think better of it. I'd be the biggest jerk ever if I pretend to completely ignore her at school but then go to her when I'm in need of help. But no, I can't keep ignoring her. It's obvious Captain Stacy's promise has done more harm and put more pain on both of us than he intended. Well, at least, I assume so. I doubt he would've made sure I promised him if he realized exactly how badly both of us were taking it. 

Forgetting every thing else but Gwen, I make a promise to myself that I would go and talk to her tomorrow. I was done hurting her and making her miserable.

_ _ _ _

I stand by my locker the next day before school, waiting for Gwen. When she enters the school, I see her quickly glance over at me, but that's all. She doesn't try meeting my gaze like yesterday, or even try to come over and talk to me. But in some odd way, this only pushed me more. It made me want to go and make up with her even more than last night. 

But before I even get the chance to go over to her, Lance Howler beats me to it. He is tall, probably about six feet, and has brown hair that falls in waves just above his bright blue eyes. He's what most girls would call the "hottest boy in school," and being the football captain only makes him the most popular.I knew there was a chance she was tutoring him, and he was just coming by to ask her about his homework, and I prayed hard that was what it was.

With my spider-hearing, I didn't need to staring my ears too hard to hear what they were saying. I turned around and casually fiddled with my camera at my locker, trying my best to not be too obvious I was listening in. 

"Hey, Gwen right?" I can hear Lance ask. Well I guess that shreds my only hope.

"Yes..." It makes me feel a little better than Gwen is obviously just as confused as I am.

"You know, the Valentine's Day dance is coming up and I don't know.... I was wondering maybe....." I quickly slam my locker shut, blocking out the rest of his sentence, but I am still able to hear Gwen's surprised response.

"Oh," she hesitates for a second, and I hold my breath, more anxious for her answer than Lance himself probably is, "Yeah, yeah. Okay."

I move away from my locker and move down the hallway, my hopes shattered. What am I supposed to do now? If she goes to the dance with him, most likely she'll start dating him, which will lead to her completely forgetting about me. But who could blame her? Lance is the most popular guy in school, any girl would be thrilled to be going to the dance with him. But despite being Spider-Man, I can't handle that. I'm not strong enough. Throwing away the promise I made to myself, I run out of the doors. I don't know where I am going, but I need to get away. From school. From Lance. And Gwen.