Chapter Eleven: Spiders

Peter's POV

Science class was the absolute worst. Gabbi Condal took great pride in bossing me around, and no matter how much I tried to help, she wouldn't let me. It took every ounce of my self control to not web her to the ceiling and leave her there.

The project we were doing was called "The Organisms Around Us," and every day Mrs. Jonson brought in a new animal or insect for us to study and learn about.

Funny enough, today the insect was, in fact, a spider. Gabbi was examining the insect from every angle, scribbling some thing on her paper every few minutes. I tried helping her, but she would only swat her hand away from me and growl. That's right, she would actually curl her mouth and growl at me. After that I just decided to leave her alone.

But, I was doing better than Flash was. Without Gwen, the poor guy was obviously struggling to work by himself. Realizing Gabbi wouldn't notice if I left, I shrug and make my way over to his table.

"So.. you look like you're having fun," I sarcastically say as he is looking for the spider on the ground.

"Shut up," he mumbles as he gets on his hands and knees to try finding it.

I quickly look over and see it scurrying to the corner on the other side of the classroom. I casually move over, pick it up, and drop it back on the table.

Flash's eyes are wide and he looks at me, "How did you...?" But the bell rings, and before I answer, I send him a goodbye wave before exciting the classroom.

 _ _ _ _

That afternoon I was leaving the school, about to call Gwen's mom, when my Spidey-Senses started acting up. Quickly, I scale a building, and change into my suit. From the rooftop, I scale the ground, until I finally  Jonathan Hobbs. He is once again, assaulting citizens, but this time out in the open. I begin to swings down to where he was, when I see him grabs a person standing nearby and grabs a gun out of his pocket. And I immediately recognized who the person was.

Howard Stacy, Gwen's brother. I instantly begin panicking.

"No, no, no, please no," I tell myself. Why did it always have to be her family getting hurt? First Captain Stacy, then her, and now possibly, Howard?

But no, Howard wasn't going to get hurt. Not if I could help it. Without hesitating any longer, Other swoop down and turn up behind Jonathan. "Put him down." I forcefully say.

He turns around and sees me, "Why should I?"

Okay, I never actually that he would listen, but it was worth a shot.

I roll my eyes and easily use my web to grab his gun. "Thank you," I say as I catch it. Then I quickly run forward and swipe Howard out of his hands, before webbing Jonathan to the ground.

Seeing that he is securely on the ground, I turn to face Howard, " What are you doing put here by yourself?" 

He looks down, "Came to be part of the crowd I guess. I could see it from the hospital window." He carelessly points behind him where, sure enough, the hospital stands, bright and clear.

I nod my head, "I'm going to take you back, okay?" I can tell Jonathan Hobbs won't be leaving anywhere soon and I can already hear the police sirens coming our way.

Howard nods, before he smiles, "Thanks, Spider-Man." I carefully lift him up and start swinging. 

We arrive at the hospital and he turns to me and say, "You probably don't remember this, because you save so many people, but you saved my sister a couple weeks ago. You know, Gwen Stacy?"

Of course I remember. As to not blow my cover, I look at him and exclaim, "No, really? That was your sister?"

He nods, "Yep, don't you wanna come and see her? Make sure she is okay?"

Not wanting him to think I'm a total jerk, I say, "Um, sure."

Smiling, he pulls me in through the doors. We earn a fair amount of stares as he guides me to Gwen's room, but all I can think about is what I am going to say.

All too soon we reach the fourth floor, room 218. Howard says, "I'll go tell her that you're here." And he disappears into the room, leaving me alone, trying to prepare my words.