Chapter Twenty-Three: Guilt

Peter's POV

One more missed call from Gwen. Each time I dismiss one her calls or ignore a text message, a piece of my heart shatters. 

As Gwen would say, I feel like a complete imbecile. I mean, she's laying in a hospital bed, and I can't even pluck up the courage to at least tell her the real reason behind why I've been avoiding her.

Yes, there actually is a reason. How about I take you back to right after I got Gwen out of the rubble?

*Flashback*

As two paramedic began to put her on a stretcher and take her heartbeat, I grabbed Gwen's hand and squeezed it, knowing better than to kiss her in front of people. Walking away, I quickly locate Mrs. Stacy and tell her what happened, before another explosion hits the building.

People cry out in absolute terror, while others in pain. I look up to see where the bombs are coming from: the roof of a high apartment building. Smirking at how impossibly easy this is, I began to swing my way up the building, doing my best to keep myself out of sight. 

I can see a man talking in through a walkie-talkie, "Yeah, almost done. About two or so bombs left." I can't hear the other person's reply, but the man responds with, "No, this isn't a waste of time. I tell you, Spiderman has some connection with the hospital, been seen around here a lot lately."

My stomach lurches at this. 

This is because of me. It's all because of me. I couldn't think straight. Not being able to handle it, I web the guy from the back and pull him to me, making him drop his walkie-talkie. 

"What do you mean?!?" I angrily asked, not being able to handle it.

The man doesn't respond, but my hands grow tighter on him, "TELL ME!"

But instead of answering, his points straight to a case full of papers. Confused, I web the guy in place before heading over and reading through them, before I see it. A big paper labeled: FEBRUARY 11: CAPTURE SPIDERMAN.

Are you serious? They bombed an entire hospital just so they could lure and capture me?

Dropping the papers, I begin to shake my head. No, no.

This is all my fault. Everything is my fault.  I have to stay away, before more people get hurt.

*End of Flashback*

_ _ _ _

I was at my locker at the end of the day, getting my books, when I hear a voice. "Peter!"

Turning around, I say, "Oh, um, hey Katherine!." Katherine's face is turned into a threatening scowl and she looks really angry. 

"Who do you think you are?!" She basically yells in my face.

"Um..." But before I can reply, she reaches forward and slaps me across the face. Hard.  "What the heck?!" I ask as I bring my hand up to my cheek. It stings.

She only replies with, "What is your problem?!?"

"Excuse me?"

But she just keeps rambling on, before I have to put up my hands and say, "Woah, Katherine, just slow down!"

Katherine takes a deep breath, before looking at me and saying, "Peter, you've been completely ignoring Gwen, don't you think this is when she needs you the most?"

When I don't say anything, Katherine just groans, "What kind go boyfriend do you think you are, anyway?"

"Katherine, it's just-"

"I don't want any excuses. I just need to tell you something."

"And what exactly is that?"

"Yesterday, at the hospital, Gwen asked if I could be there for her at her grandmother's funeral. She didn't ask you. What does that tell you?"

And then Katherine turns around and walks away, leaving me alone and feeling more guilty than ever.

A/N

I know this chapter was really bad, but the next one should be better! In case you got confused, the italicized lettering was Peter's flashback from what happened after he saved Gwen. As always, please read and tell me what you think! I love you all! <3

Love_To_Write218