Chapter Thirteen: Phone-Call

Peter's POV

I had just gotten home from the hospital when my phone went off. Groaning, I use a web to pull the phone to me. I am about to ignore the call when I see the Caller ID and picture. 

Gwen.

It had been such a long time since she had called me, I can't help but stare at the picture, smiling at the memory, before another ring jolts me out my thoughts. Why would she be calling me? Has something happened? My insides filled with dread, I press the ANWSER button.

"Hey," I press the phone to my ear.

"Peter?" Gwen says, quietly.

"Yeah, yeah, it's me? Are you okay?"

On the the other end, I can hear her trying to omit a sob, but it comes out anyway. "Gwen? What's wrong?"

But instead of answering, she only sobs more. I wished more than anything I could reach across the phone-line and hold her until she was okay again. 

When she's finally able to catch her breath, she says, "I'm so sorry, Peter. So sorry."

So sorry? For what? She didn't do anything. I should be the one apologizing, not her. "Gwen, what are you talking about? You haven't done anything." 

"You're perfect," I think to myself, but know better than to say out loud. 

She doesn't answer my question, but instead says, "Can you come see me?"

A few weeks ago I would've made an excuse to say no, because of the promise I made to her dad. But no, right now, all I want to do is see her. I want myself to be able to hold her, even if it's only for a little while. I want to be with her. I need to be with her.

"Yeah, I'm on my way right now," I say and begin to make my to the doorway leading out of my room. 

"No, Peter, wait!" She suddenly exclaims, and for one dreadful minute I think she doesn't want me to come, that I won't be able to see her, before she suddenly says, "I mean, you don't have to come now, I know you're probably busy and all...."

Shaking my head, I say, "Gwen, it's fine, I'm coming right now okay?"

I can picture her nodding on the other end before she responds, "Okay, see you soon." And then she ends the call.

Quickly I exit my room, and open the front door of my house before Aunt May appears behind me and says, "Peter Parker! Where do you think you're going?"

"I'm going to visit Gwen at the hospital," I say while turning to look at her.

Shocked, she says, "You mean to tell me that after all this time, now you choose to go and see her?!"

I close my eyes, "I know it sounds bad, but please understand Aunt May, I need to see her. Something has-"

"Peter," She interrupts, "I'm not stopping you. Go, now, before I change my mind!"

Rushing up to her, I hug her, "Thank you, so much." And then I race out the door, to the hospital, to see Gwen.

Aunt May watched her nephew leave from the doorway, shaking her head and at the same time muttering, "Young love."

A/N

Sorry it was short, but I had to set the scene for the next chapter. Please read and tell me what you think! I <3 my readers!

Love_To_Write218