Chapter 23: Kicking Dirt

23◆Kieras POV

Bennette went to a Luke Bryan concert, once, and Carrie was a special guest. She spotted him in the crowd and that was that, love at first sight. Sam walked out of the room and made his way to the front of the bus where he gave the driver directions. I lugged my suitcase to the front of the bus and sat down. We were about 10 minutes from Bennette's house, when Hunter sat across from me. "Listen about last night-" I started. "Just... tell me the lie, so I know how much of what we've been though was real." There he went, cutting me off again. "Okay. My mom has no idea I'm here. She thinks I'm at my aunts house." I said. I think that's all of it. "Do you know I can get arrested for this? Did you think about that?" He said, his voice shaking and getting louder. I looked down and answered softly, "I know I was wrong to lie, and I should have thought of you. But Hunter if you only met my aunt you would understand. She's awful!" Right as I said that, Matt stepped in, "Kiera, we're here." I looked around and realized they the bus was in front of Bennette's house. I looked back at Hunter and waited for him to say something. He rubbed his forehead and looked out the window, where Carrie walked out to the bus. "Is that-" he started. It was my turn to cut him off, "Carrie Underwood? Yup. She's my sister in law," I said as we both stepped off of the bus. Carrie gave me a hug and looked at Hunter, "Hey Hunter. Haven't seen you in a while," she said smiling. He grinned back and said, "I can say the same to you." He glanced over at me while I stood there silently kicking dirt. "Thanks for bringing her here. Saved me a lot of trouble." He glanced from Carrie back to me, "Anytime."