The Sugar Boys

I looked at Cody, who was gazing outside of the window. 

"Are you okay?" I asked, putting my hand on his shoulder. 

What? Can't a girl at least try to be nice for once? He looked at me briefly, and nodded, returning his gaze to the outside world. 

"The question is, are you okay?" He replied quietly.

"I could be worse.."

 "What happened back there? Why did you seem so upset when all you clearly did was put us one step ahead?" He asked curiously, looking me in the eye. 

I glanced in the front, where the driver was, and sighed, giving Cody a look as if I was saying, 'I'll tell you when we're alone.' 

He nodded, and we stayed in the silence until the car held to a stop. Cody jumped (not literally) out of his side of the car, and waited for me to join him on the sidewalk. 

As soon as I did, he enveloped my hand in his, and made me follow him up this bridge that overlooked the water. (A/N: Look, i've been to any of these places, so don't get mad if I get anything wrong.) 

I watched the moon shine over the water, and then my eyes went to Cody, who looked amazing under the moonlight. If only he was a little nicer, then maybe I'd develop feelings for him. 

I shivered quietly as the evening air made me feel cold. Cody must've noticed, so he took off his jacket and put it around me. "No, now you're going to get cold." I protested, shrugging it off of me. 

"It's okay, I don't get cold." He said.

"How is that possible?" I asked him in disbelief. 

"Cause, my hotness keeps me warm, and you know it." He winked, making me roll my eyes. 

"You are so cocky, it's irritating." I muttered amusingly.

"Whatever, so why so glum?"

"Apparently whatever I did tonight was a success, but I still feel like I'd failed." I said.

"I don't see how you should feel that you failed...don't tell anyone, but I personally thought that you did a great job. I practically believed you myself, and I knew it was an act."

I looked up at him in shock. "Thank you, but it's not that. I just feel like Jon should've used someone with more experience than me." 

"Who has more experience than you at lying?" He asked.

"No one. But what if something went wrong tonight? And I didn't know how to defend myself? What if you weren't able to get to me so quickly? I wouldn't have been able to-" I got cut off by him pulling my head towards his, and his lips only inches away.

My eyes got really big at the closeness, but they closed and I waited for something to happen.

"Carter if anything had happend, I would've been the first to be there for you. No matter what." He muttered. 

As soon as his mouth was about to meet mine, his phone rang. "Shit.." He mumbled, and pulled back. 

"Hello? I'm sorry. I thought that Carter might've wanted to get something to eat, since she doesn't know what they were serving earlier. We'll be back soon though. I promise, and once again I apologize for that. Okay, Bye." He said, hanging up and then putting it in his pocket.

"Was Jon mad?" I asked.

"Yes, but it's okay, you didn't get into trouble." He said.

"But you will."