Chapter One: Start to a "Normal" Day

"Have fun at school Kayla!" My mom called out as I mounted my bike, preparing to leave for school.

"Hope I will," I called back.

* * *

Let me tell you all about me. My name's Kayla Williams and there are always strange things happening to me. For some reason, I cannot pinpoint why they are happening and... I still don't get it now. Anyway... back to reality.

I parked my bike on one of the bike racks near one of the entrances. I go to one of the best high schools in Detroit, Michigan, my hometown. Well, that's my opinion at least. I went straight to my locker to get my books for the first period. When I did, Carter was standing beside it.

"Hey, Carter." I greeted.

"Hi Kayla." he greeted back with a wave as I walked over.

"By the way, how did you do on your Geology quiz?" I asked.

"It wasn't that bad, but to say the truth, I got a B minus." he replied.

"That's really not that bad. The last time I took a quiz... I had a C-plus in World History." I said.

"Not bad also." he said.

"Chelsea, what did you just do?!" I heard a familiar shout coming from further down the hall.

"Did she just mess up Elias' locker again?" I said, surprised.

"I'm not sure, let's find out," Carter said.

We both walked over to Elias's locker, which is about seven lockers to the right from mine, and we found him muttering things to himself while his textbooks and notebooks lay on the floor. They might have been purposely knocked off, particularly by Chelsea March, one person we dislike since middle school.

"Shoot, she just made all my notebooks and textbooks fall out of my locker! I probably have to spend the entire period trying to organize it again..." Elias grumbled, slamming one of his notebooks back on the floor. That girl...

"Try doing it during our free period before you come to the courtyard with us, so you won't have to rush," I suggested.

"I agree, and just make sure Chelsea doesn't get to you, again," Carter added.

"Will do." Elias nodded.

The bell marking five minutes until class rang. That means I have to get to my Geometry/Trig homeroom ASAP, Mr. Holland wouldn't accept late students, especially when there is another quiz coming.

"I'll see you both at P.E. then." I waved at both of them as I walked down the hall. I thought about telling both Elias and Carter about these powers I kind of have. I have to be certain about them before I could even tell.

* * *

"Whew, I got an A plus in my Geometry quiz, how am I this good?" I said to Elias as soon as I caught up with him after class.

"No reason, I think you're just logically good," Elias smiled.

"I guess..." I shrugged. "Do you know what we're going to do in P.E.?"

"Probably basketball or something," he replied. "Carter is going to be great at this if it is."

"Maybe," I said.

We started walking towards the gym, where we usually change into our gym uniform and meet for class. We entered and found Carter, Chelsea, and some other students we don't even recognize.

"Hi y'all!" Chelsea yelled out at us while plastered with a fake smile. I could tell she doesn't even like us.

"Hey, Chelsea," I replied, with a bit of a tone in my voice. I'm still mad at her for throwing Elias's books on the floor this morning.

"Let's go change," Elias said.

I nodded. After we came out of the changing room and did our warm-ups, Coach Clark entered the gym.

"We're going to play dodgeball today. I'm sure all of you know the rules; No head shots, throw from the first line from the midline, and a teammate gets back in when you catch a ball. Be fair, now set up the court." He said as he threw about eight dodgeballs from the closet.

"I have a bad feeling about this..." I said, secretly worrying that Chelsea might be on my team.

"No worries Kayla, you'll be fine," Carter reassured me.

Everyone finished setting up. We jogged over to Coach to find out our teams. "Okay, since there are 12 of us, as usual, Hannah, Caleb, Jackson, Kendra, Carter, and Elias, you all are one team. Other team consists of Chelsea, Ben, Megan, Drew, Kayla, and Luka."

I knew it. I knew that I'm teammates with Chelsea, but I seriously don't want to team with her since she is too arrogant, given the fact that she doesn't trust all of the people in the room. I'm also worried about our team losing since Carter and Elias are the best in dodgeball, not sure why.

"Good luck, March," I said to Chelsea, who was crossing her arms.

"Same to you, Williams." she replied.

"I guess that will be the 'official' start of another normal day..." I muttered under my breath.

"Know that jailbreak is every two minutes. You better finish this game 'till the end of the period. Ready... set..." As soon as Coach finished speaking, he blew his whistle. "Go!"

And I didn't know that this dodgeball game is going to end up being one of the most important events in my life...

* * *

Chapter Header by: Astariel