Chapter Four: A Mysterious Visitor

After a few class periods...

"That French sub was so weird..." I said, commenting on the substitute teacher that came to French class today.

"I agree, with him not following the guide and stuff." he agreed.

"Yeah," I said. There was a substitute to replace Ms. Faye in French and according to Carter (who has a habit of sneaking up to the teacher's desk and looking at the lesson guide when there's a sub), he did not follow the lesson guide and"made his own." We ended up using the period doing games involving French grammar, phrases, and punctuation as well as having all the students write a survey of themselves, in French.

"Anyways, what are you going to do for the rest of the day?" I asked.

"I'll probably help Elias study his French. Even if he's at the honors level, he's failing, pretty bad since his last quiz," he replied. "Want to help?"

"I wish I could but I have tons of homework for Geometry, Chemistry, and Ceramics 2," I replied.

"You really still take ceramics, don't you? Just curious, what do you have to do this time?" he asked.

"Simply make a complex 3D sculpture out of the clay Ms. Wilkins provided for us," I said.

"That'll be pretty fun for you. Try and make a phoenix out of that if you can. I know you're pretty good at the appearance of animals." he said.

"Wait, why a phoenix?" I wondered.

"I heard it is your favorite animal right?" Carter inquired.

"That's true, but... why?" I clarified again.

"I believe that whenever you try and sculpt an animal, most amateur high schoolers would just go for the simple ones. According to my opinion, you have great attention to detail and you'll do whatever it takes to make sure your sculpture is perfect right?" He explained, encouragingly. "So, what do you say?"

"Alright fine. I'll text you for any type of thing that comes up. Same message to Elias, okay?" I added.

"Sure. Text ya tonight and see you tomorrow." he waved before walking over to, what I assume, the library.

"See you." I waved back. I walked over to the entrance of the school where I parked my bike this morning. A phoenix huh? I'm pretty sure I could mold one.

* * *

I arrived at my house, greeted my mom, and went straight up to my room. Dad wasn't home yet, as usual. I opened the package that held the clay and started molding. As I finished, I placed it on one part of the desk that I barely touch, so the clay can dry.

"There we go," I said, admiring my creation. After a few minutes, I went straight into the bathroom to fix myself up. I closed the door so I could have 100% concentration when I do. For some reason, I feel like someone else is here. I look around, but I don't see anything in sight.

"Up here Kayla..." an alluring voice said.

"What the heck?" I jumped as soon as I heard that voice.

"Don't be scared, child. I'm not going to hurt you." the same voice said in a reassuring tone.

"Whatever or whoever you are, why did you appear in my bathroom while I was just getting ready for the night?" I defensively asked, reaching over for one of my marbles in the flower jar by the sink.

"Look up."

I looked up at the ceiling, and there was a phoenix, floating above me in a sky blue aura, just like my sparks in P.E. class this morning.

"Wait... this is impossible..." I muttered. Is that phoenix real?

"Yes, I am real," it replied as if it were reading my mind.

"And erm... why do you know my name?" I asked. That was creepy...

"I am your guardian that's why. You're probably thinking 'who is this mysterious visitor?' Am I right?"

"That's true... and is it true that you can read my mind?"

"Your mind and only yours. It takes a lot of effort to read another other than the person I am a guardian to." the phoenix made a friendly smirk, or maybe tried to. "I am also the phoenix that came out of your clay art."

"I never thought a real life phoenix would ever come out of my creations..." I muttered.

"Well, I would say that you are logically creative."

"Thank you," I smiled. "So what is it that you want to let me hear about?"

"Oh, yes. I wanted to tell you that you have to meet the one who has Aerokinesis. Both of you will be able to open a portal to another world. In other words, a parallel universe.Only people with kinetic abilities will be able to go there from here. The catch is that two people have to be chosen to be able to open the portal from where they are. For you, that aerokinetic person is your partner to open the portal. He and you will be able to help us when we have problems anytime." it explained.

"Okay, great!" I smiled. "But... why, of all people, would be chosen to be born with cryokinetic powers?"

"You are special for various reasons. I could name about twenty-five if you like." The phoenix suggested.

"Uh... no. I'd rather not sit here listening to twenty-five reasons why I am special enough to have these powers." I replied. "No offense."

"That is okay." its tone calmed me a bit, and I chuckled.

"And we have a problem now," it added.

"What kind of problem?" I said, surprised.

"Inside the parallel universe, there is an ice realm. Usually, it always snows and all the lakes are frozen. Now, the creatures there are telling me that the air is getting warmer.Glaciers and icebergs are melting, the animals are perspiring more than usual, and it has been raining more than snowing. Besides being your guardian, I am also the guardian of the air and ice realm. Again, we need both of your help." the phoenix explained with a little bit of an urgent tone.

"That is very serious... Exactly, what should I do?" I asked.

"For now, find your partner and go from there. I will visit you occasionally to oversee your progress. My messenger says the ice will melt in approximately ten days from now." it replied.

"What's my partner's name?" I continued asking.

"Brandon Williams."

* * *

Chapter Header by: Astariel