Chapter Eighteen

*five days later*
  Its New Years Eve and my mom wants to have a little get together and what not. She invited Ben's mom and step dad, Bex and her boyfriend, and I think some of her friends from work are going to be coming. Alexa is going to be going to one of her friend's house since this is strictly an adult party. Ben's happy because this party is going to actually have alcohol. He's been wanting to drink, but I told him not to much. So he reluctantly agreed. He agreed on simply getting buzzed instead of completely wasted. I'll be the one keeping an eye on everyone because I don't drink at all anymore. My mom started hanging small fairy lights from the back porch. We were going to have a bonfire in the backyard and shoot fireworks that Matty had gone and picked up earlier this morning while dropping off Alexa. He had brought back Smirnoff green apple, wine, beer, Jack Daniels, and I didn't see what else. I just hope Ben can keep his promise. I don't want to have to nurse his hangover while on a plane. I sighed and Ben came and wrapped his arms around my waist.
    "Don't worry my love. I can control myself. I'm not as bad as I used to be. I'm no where as bad as I used to be."
He said, kissing the top of my head.
  I tangled my fingers with his.
    "I just don't know all the people that are going to be here and I don't want you doing anything stupid."
I said, watching a bird build it's nest.
  He turned me in his arms, but I still didn't meet his eyes. He titled my face up so that I would meet his eyes.
    "Do you just want to stay upstairs? We will just sit upstairs with a couple of beers and watch some movies."
He said.
    "I don't drink. Besides it's New Years Ben my mom is going to want us to be down here. I'll just keep an eye out on everything. I'll stay out of the way, and you guys can have fun."
I say.
  He sighed and brushed his hair back with a hand. My mom then came inside from hanging up the fairy lights. She looked in between me and Ben.
    "What's up between you two?"
She asked.
    "Nothing."
I said.
  She didn't look like she believed me. I sighed and walked up to the room me and Ben were staying in. I plopped down face first on the bed and let out a loud groan. The bed dipped down and I sat my head on my arms to look and see who it was. To my luck, it was Ben.
    "Why are you so worried about me drinking?"
He asked, brushing my hair out of my face.
    "Okay, you really want to know? When I was in college there was this guy. I thought he was okay and he was until he got drunk."
I said, looking away.
  Ben turned me to face him.
     "What did he do?"
    "He degraded me in the worst way you can a woman. Thats why I get nervous around drinking."
I said.
  He didn't say anything. There was nothing he could say. He got up and left the room. I knew he would leave. I should have never told him.

*Ben*
  How come she didn't tell me before? How come mom or Bex didn't tell me? I feel like complete crap for even bringing up drinking at all. I went and sat on the porch steps and pulled out my cigerattes. I pulled one out of the pack and lite it. I took the toxic smoke into my lungs before letting it back out. I honestly don't know how I am going to make this up to her. I feel so bad. Her mother came outside and sat down on the porch beside me.
    "Did she finally tell you?"
She asked.
  I nodded.
    "Why didn't she tell me sooner? I would have never have brought up drinking if I would have known."
I said, looking down at my promise ring.
  She sighed.
    "She didn't want to tell you, because she was scared that you would leave."
She said.
    "I would never leave her over something like that. In no way was that her fault."
I said.
  Her mother nodded.
    "I know. She was too scared to go to the police and press charges because she didn't want to face him in court. He was going to Canada and she was going to be moving to Miami so she knew that he wouldn't be able to find her."
She said.
    "I wish she would have told me earlier."
I said, stomping out my cigeratte.
  Her mother rubbed my back.
    "Go be with her. You and her go and find something to do tonight. Go to one of your friend's houses or something. Help her get her mind off of things again."
She said.
  I nodded.
    "I got some things in mind."
I say.
    "Alright."
    "Do you have any extra fairy lights?"
I asked.
    "Oh yes, I'll go run and get them. Is there anything else you need?"
She asked.
    "Umm... some paper."
I say.
  She comes out a few minutes later with a few pieces of paper and the fairy lights and a pen. I go to the hall closet which I know is filled with extra blankets and pillows. I wrote a short note to Jacey.
    'Jacey,
I know I am a complete and total douche and all, but I promise you I am going to make it up to you. As you read this, I am working on your big surprise. You might want to change into something warm. This surprise will be outdoors and I don't know how long we will be gone. Xoxoxo
                             ~love,
                                   Ben
  I folded it and slid it under her door and grabbed her keys from the key hook on the wall. I had to go get some plastic to lay on the ground in order to keep the snow from going through the blankets and making our butts wet. I walked to the garage and unlocked her doors and climbed inside with all of the stuff and then made my way to the store.

*Jacey*
  I looked down on the floor and there was a folded up piece of paper. I picked it up and opened it.
    'Jacey,
I know I am a complete and total douche and all, but I promise you I am going to make it up to you. As you read this, I am working on your big surprise. You might want to change into something warm. This surprise will be outdoors and I don't know how long we will be gone. Xoxoxo
                             ~love,
                                   Ben'
  I sighed and went and changed into a pair of thick sweatpants and slipped on my thick Motley Crue hoodie that Ben's mom got me for Christmas. I then pulled on my UGG boots and walked downstairs. A lot of people were already pouring in for the party. About five minutes later Ben came back. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into him. He kissed the top of my head.
    "I'm sorry."
He whispered.
  I put my hand on his cheek so that he would meet my eyes.
    "Ben, it's my fault for not telling you."
I said, looking down.
  He sighed.
    "I kept pushing you though, so I'm making up for it. Do you know if you guys have like a big Thermos or something that will keep some hot chocolate warm?"
Ben asked.
   "Umm... I'll have to go and ask my mom and see if they do I'm not for sure."
I say.
  He nodds. I jogg out back where everyone is gathered around a bonfire. I find my mother.
    "Mom, Ben wants to know if we have a Thermos."
I say.
    "Yes. I'll have to come and get it because you don't know where it is at because it is new."
She says.
  We go into the kitchen and she dug through the cabinets until she finally handed it down to me.
    "Thank you."
  She didn't say anything, she simply went back outside. I sighed and went back into the living room.
    "We have a Thermos."
I say.
    "Wait here and I will go and get the hot chocolate mix."
He says.
  He comes back a few minutes later with the mix. I was putting a pot on the stove full of water to warm so that we could mix up the hot chocolate. It was soon finished and Ben poured the hot mix into the Thermos and tightened the lid on it. He took my hand we started out.