Chapter27

Scarlett {an arranged marriage} Part 27: ‘Don’t hurt her.’

I jumped, and Drake laughed. “I knew that would freak you out!” he exclaimed. “That was you?!” I asked. “Yup, I told you that I could read minds. You didn’t believe me did you?” he asked, poking me in my side repeatedly. ‘Not really,’ I thought, testing him. “Why not? You believed that Mickey had a power,” he responded out loud. ‘Because his power seems to fit him. He’s quieter, more self reserved, so I can believe that his power works more with his mind. But you, you’re more social and more energetic. I assumed that your power would be more physical than mental,’ I thought, and in my mind, I could feel another presence the same way that you can tell when someone enters the room that you’re in. “Oh,” he answered. “I guess that makes sense.”

“Will you two stop doing that?” Mickey said finally. “It’s aggravating to only be able to hear one part of the conversation.”

“Sorry,” I said. ‘How does it work?’ I asked Drake’s presence in my head. ‘What do you mean?’ he asked back, and even though we weren’t speaking, I could hear his curiosity in the unspoken words. Amazing. ‘I mean, do I have to be ‘talking’ for you to hear me?’ I clarified. ‘You weren’t ‘talking’ the first time I hacked into your brain,’ he pointed out. ‘And I’ve heard some pretty whacked out stuff from your head,’ he added. ‘What do you mean by ‘whacked out’?’ I asked hesitantly. I wasn’t used to someone eavesdropping in my head, and me having to hide my thoughts. I mean, some stuff was mine, ALONE. ‘Like the way you called yourself the ‘Freak of the Freaks,’ he said nonchalantly. ‘And then there was something about cheese…’

‘Oh! I’m sorry,’ I apologized. ‘About the cheese? I admit that wasn’t the most exciting thought I’ve ever heard, but there’s no need to be sorry,’ he said, confused. ‘No! I meant about the freak thing,’ I said. ‘Oh that? Please, it doesn’t bother me. If you think about it, being called a freak is like being called unique. And being a demon prince isn’t half bad. Especially the chicks, now those are the best part about being a prince,’ he said, reliving a memory. Suddenly, I saw different girls scrolling through my head at lightning speed. It wasn’t until it was over that I realized that Drake had let me into his mind. Those were his memories.

When I looked at him bewildered, he smiled at me. “Are you two done with your ‘conversation’?” Christian said bitterly. I could hear a hint of jealousy in his voice. “Yes baby, we’re done,” I said, laying my head back on his shoulder.

He reached in his pocket and pulled out a small box. “Can you take this to Jonathan in the V. I. P. section?” he asked me. “Sure,” I answered, confused. I took the box and walked away, barely resisting the urge to look in the box. I wonder what it is…

Christian’s P.O.V.

“Alright, she’s gone, but only for a few minutes. So talk fast. What do you have for me?” I asked as soon as she was out of earshot. “Wait. I thought you just promised not to tell anymore lies. What the heck was that?!” Mickey asked. “It wasn’t a lie. I did need to take that to Jonathan, but I needed to talk to you guys too. So talk.”

“Not really much to say man. I mean, you gotta stay away from her. Do whatever you have to do to stay as far away from her as you can. And don’t be alone with her again,” Drake said.

“Man, she was in my bed the last time she called me. What do I do about that?!” I asked. “Ouch. Maybe get a lock?” Mickey suggested, as he checked out a girl that passed him. “You think she’s worth the time?” he asked Drake. He leaned back and gave her a once over. “Yeah, she’s your type. Short, blond, tiny waist. She may look like she’s stupid, but she’s really smart. She likes poetry, and Shakespeare,” Drake supplied. “Cool, I’ll be back,” he said, and got up to go talk to her. “Hey! What about me? Aren’t I important?” I screamed, but he kept walking. I didn’t blame him; good looking chicks with brains are hard to come by. I’m just lucky I got the girl I did.

“You’re important to me, babe,” Sira said, coming up behind me, and wrapping her arms around my back and to my chest. I reached down and took one of her hands in mine and kissed it. “Thanks sweetie,” I told her. “You ready to go?” I asked. “Sure. Go round up your friends and I’ll get the car,” she said, and I looked up to see that Drake was gone now too. I spotted him a few yards away talking to a raven haired beauty. He was obviously cracking jokes, because she was laughing.

“Alright,” I said, and she slipped from my grasp. “Hey,” I said, catching her arm before she got too far away, “You know I love you, right?” I couldn’t help feeling guilty about the Mikayla situation.

“Of course. I love you, too,” she replied with a smile. “Good.”

I grabbed Mickey first, just as she was handing over her digits. He grudgingly introduced me. She was nice enough, but she was definitely more into him. ‘Good,’ I thought. ‘Mickey needs somebody to be with.’ Then, we grabbed Drake. After they quickly exchanged numbers, he kissed her hand and bid her farewell. “What?” he asked when we questioned him about it. “She’s into gentlemen from like the 1960’s.”

“Whatever. Somebody’s been watching me and Sira. We both know that you didn’t come up with the idea to kiss her hand all on your own,” I said, poking some fun at him. He ducked his head, and I could see the slight blush on his face. “It’s not like you own all the romantic moves,” he mumbled.

“Anything you guys want to add to the whole Mikayla thing?” I asked, before we walked outside. “Yeah, make sure that Sira doesn’t know ANYTHING. It would kill her,” Drake said, and Mickey nodded. “How would you know?” I asked. Whenever I thought of Sira, I always pictured her as her fearless, brave, feisty self. The thought of Sira being hurt wouldn’t mix with the other thoughts I’d had. It just didn’t fit.

“I’ve read her mind; all of her thoughts are of you. And of the two of you being together,” Drake said. “And any idiot can tell by the way she looks at you,” Mickey added. “The look that you two have in your eyes when you look at each other, it’s so sweet that it’s vomit inducing. Even mentioning her name gives you that look,” he said, a smirk building on his face.

“Anyway, she loves you. Really and truly. Don’t hurt her,” Drake said, and then he and Mickey walked outside, and into the car that Sira had pulled around for us.