Chapter19

Sira's P.O.V.

"Sira," he said, and I could tell that he was about to say something important. I tried my hardest to pay attention. "We've been engaged for 15 years, but until two days ago, I'd never met you. I think, no, I knowthat I've been missing out on knowing you for the past fifteen years,and that is something I'll regret for the rest of my life, because every day that I spend with you is wonderful. When I finally did meet you, I wascertain that I was the luckiest guy alive, because you are just so beautiful. You're smart, graceful, funny, independent, sweet, and kind, and you're alwaysdown to earth. When I'maround you, I find it hard to focus on anything else, and when I'm not around you, I'm in pain, because you are truly my other half and I hate to be away from you. You're the yin to my yang, or the sun to my moon. You complete me. I know that for a guy that only met you a few days ago, and doesn't know your favorite color, or what scares you the most, I'm asking for a lot, but I love you, and if you agree to marry me, then I'll treat you like the blessing you most definitely are. I don't want you to think about the agreement our parents made. I want you to choose to be with me out of your free will.I want to be loved for me, notbecause you were forced to love me. If you agree to marry me, I promise to never take you for granted a day in your life." Here, he took at deep breath. It was shaky and uneven. He was nervous. "So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, Sira, I love you. Will you marry me?"As he said all this, he gradually got down on one knee, and pulled out a beautiful, princess cut diamond engagement ring on a white gold band. It was simple, but it had an air of elegance around it that hinted at expensive designer origins, like the soft, gentle swirls in the band, and the perfect clarity of the diamond. I was in awe. It didn’t dawn on me that he was waiting for an answer. “Are you taking your time because you actually have to think, or for dramatic effect?” he asked, jokingly, but I knew him so well that I could hear the hurt in his voice. It amazed me how well I knew him, and I’d only been here a few days. But I belong here, in this house, this family, and nothing else in the world would make me as happy than to spend my life with him, forever. But as his wife? As a vampire? That, was the only part I wasn’t so sure of. I looked at his sad face and it hurt my soul. I couldn’t tell him “no”, and I didn’t want to. I had to make a choice. Either follow your heart and make the biggest sacrifice of your life, or listen to your common sense, and abandon the only true love you’ve ever known. “Yes,” I said, and even though I was scared out of my mind, my voice was strong. “I will marry you.” His face lit up, and in that moment, I knew I’d made the right decision. It was what I wanted. I get to spend the rest of my life with him. The only drawback was I’d have to become a vampire, and a wife at the age of 17. And of course they’d expect me to have children right away. Ugh. But if I had to make some sacrifices, then I’d do it gladly, just to see that smile on his face. He reached out, and, in less than a second later, he’d picked me up and was spinning me around in circles. I laughed and it rang out over the large almost empty room. It felt good to laugh. I hadn’t laughed since I’d found out about all this mess. Slowly, he put me down, but pressed me up against him. He stared into my eyes, not hypnotizing, but asking if this was what I wanted. I stared back, unwavering, and with all the focus I could muster, I tried to answer. He must have understood, because he gently pressed his lips to mine, and instantly, I was at ease. Now this was nowhere near my first kiss, but it felt different than the others somehow, more relaxed. With the other guys, I’d been nervous, but this was as natural as breathing. We stood there, in the sunlight, his lips to mine for what seemed like an eternity. All things considered, I was a pretty happy girl. Suddenly, the doorbell rang, loud and clear. We jumped apart, and the look on his face was so hilarious, that I couldn’t help but laugh. He grinned at me, then grabbed my hand. We decided, more or less, to take the stairs. We ran down flight after flight, stopping only for a few kisses every once in a while. Who knows? This arranged marriage thing might just work.