27: You Belong With Me

Phoenix(above) Brailee Butler

Phoenix's POV

I wake up the next morning with no bad dreams.

I look over at Taylor sleeping, she's peaceful and she really wants me to stay but what if Mama and Dada come and find me with her. I'll get hurt and maybe she will. That can't happen she didn't do anything wrong. I moved from the alley and I've eaten food in the past days.

Oh what have I done, I need to go. I need to leave. I slide off the bed and run downstairs. I quickly find my old clothes I came here in. They were in the laundry. I change, I don't exactly dress myself, so it took some time. Then I leave the shoes and clothes in the hamper.

I get to the door before turning around and breathing in the sight of heaven. I sigh and unlock the door, pushing it open.

I quietly shut it and head out.

I don't exactly find my way back but I get close, I think.

I huddle down in the alley, shivering from the cold, and crying about the heaven I've left. I didn't deserve to be there either way. She just wants me to find out my secret or until she could bring me back to my parents.

Taylor's POV
I wake up to the baby monitor, Fin was up. I took over and Phoenix is gone. She must have gone downstairs.

I go to Fin's room and calm him down. Then change him and head downstairs. Phoenix isn't there either. That's odd. I look around the whole apartment and she isn't anywhere to be found.

"Fin, where Phoenix?" I ask him like he knows.

"Ph-Phoe," he says. I smile at him as he tries to sound it out.

I head to the laundry room and see her pajamas in the hamper and the old old clothes gone.

Oh crap!

"Fin, we need to go," I say running upstairs and changing in to suitable clothes. I grab a blanket and him before heading downstairs to the car. I quickly get in and drive off.

I start looking down streets and alleys. I look around parks, restaurants, everywhere and anywhere she could be.

Two hours later, I find her huddled in an alley. Sitting on the ground. I park and quickly get out leaving Fin in a locked car.

"Phoenix!" I shout running towards her. She flinches and looks up at me as I near her.

"Oh god, Phoenix why did you leave?" I say out of breath and voice full of concern.

"I didn't want to get hurt," she says.

"How would that happen?" I ask.

"Mama and Dada, punishwent," she says.

"What do they do?" I ask.

"Plawy mean gamwes, I get huwrt," she says looking down. I pull her on my lap.

"Phoenix Hope, no one should ever do that. You know that's wrong?" I ask. She shakes her head no.

"Well, it is that's not how anyone should be treated," I say pulling her close.

She looks up full of fear, sadness, despair, and loneliness; straight in my eyes.

"If you could see
That I'm the one
Who understands you.
Been here all along.
So, why can't you see
You belong with me,
You belong with me.

Walk in the streets with you in your worn out jeans
I can't help thinking this is how it ought to be.
Laughing on a park bench thinking to myself,
"Hey, isn't this easy?"

And you've got a smile
That could light up this whole town," I sing softly in to her ear.

"You belong with me, Phoenix grace, let's go home, okay" I say. She pulls away.

"Phoenix, why not?" I ask.

"They fiwnd me, you, hurt us," she says.

I take a step towards her.

"Phoenix they can't hurt either of us," I say.

"You no know," she says stepping back.

"Yeah, I do, I'll protect you, I'll always protect you, just come home with me," I say taking a step towards her and reaching my arm out.

"Y-yo-you pr-pro-prom-promise," she stutters.

"Always," I say picking her up and closing the gap between us. I carry her back to the car and strap her in.

First we're going home, then we're going shopping.

••••
After we are all showered, dressed, and fed. I load up the car again and head out.

We go to target and buy toys, books, clothes, a car seat, extra sippy cups, candy, and a wonderful time. Laughing, giggling, smiles plastered on our faces the wold time.

We headed home for dinner. We had beef stroganoff. And they both loved it. But they seemed to like the noddles the best.

We watched Little Mermaid. I love watching movies with them. They always curl in to my side, snuggling. Curled up in blankets, with tippy cups of milk, happily watching the movie. It's like a dream to look down at the two children who lives depend on you. S leaking of which, I need to go down to the court house and sign papers to legally have Phoenix.

The movie's halfway through when I look down at the two sleeping. Fin with a pacifier in his mouth and Phoenix her tippy cup. She missed so much of a childhood, she grew up like no one I know. I'm gonna give her the right one. I smile at them both taking a picture and sending it to my mom.

I get up and carry Fin to bed laying him down in his crib. Kissing him goodnight and leaving the baby monitor on.

I head back downstairs to see Phoenix sprawled out on the couch sleeping peacefully. Hopefully no night mares.

I gently change her in to a clean diaper and pajamas before putting her down in my bed.

I change and go to sleep. Just to be woken up be her in the middle of the night.

I cradle her in my arms, "it's just a dream, shh, no one can hurt you, shh, no one can hurt you."

"They-they hurt me, you, Fin, they hurt me all over," she say hyperventilating.

"Can you breathe in and out for me, in, and, out," I say instructing her. Her breathing returns and I lay down as she snuggles in to me. I wrap my arm protectively stroking her back. I can feel past scars on her back so I gently rub around them trying to calm her.

"Taylor?" She asks.

"Uhum?" I say in the dark.

"What does Fin call you?" She asks.

"Mama or mommy, why?" I answer.

"I was just wondering," she says.

"Oh, you can call me whatever you want," I say, "I love you, Phoenix, goodnight." I kiss her head, pulling up the covers.

"I love you too, Taylor," she says muffled through the sleepiness.

A/n
Thanks!!!

CQ: What happens if Phoenix's parents find out?

What happens when Taylor adopts Phoenix?