11

"CC! What are you-!"

The building had already emptied, since most had run out after gunshots rang. CC slowly stood up. "I'm fine." She told me, using her hands to cover the wound. I was speechless as I watched her walk toward the door.

"Always getting into trouble, I see." She looked at me with a smirk.

"Why did you interfere? I could have handled it on my own. If he shot me, I wouldn't die anyway."

"I have my reasons." She said simply and slowly limped out the door. "Besides, after I realized you left the cottage, I knew you were up to no good."

--

"The bullet must have went deeper than I thought." She said through her clenched teeth, pulling the bullet out of her wound. I watched glumly as she waited for it to slowly heal itself.

"I can never understand your motives." I said with a hint of regret in my voice. "Having known you for so long, I'd expect to understand you more than I did. Seems I was wrong."

She didn't say anything but kept her eye on the wound as it began to fade.

There was a knock from the door. I opened my mouth to say something before the door unlocked and footsteps were coming into the room.

CC looked up. "It's Nunnally."

"CC, are you alright?" Suzaku's voice called.

My eyes darted around the entire room, looking for a place I could hide or leave. I found a large closet enough to block me if they came into the room and hid myself behind it. I heard CC shut the room door.

"Has your wound healed yet?" I heard Nunnally asking worriedly.

"Yes." CC replied and there were rustling sounds.

"How did you get a wound in the first place?" I heard Suzaku's voice.

"Ah, it was the same wound I had from the guards. It just took longer to heal, that's all. I'm fine. You both should leave before it gets dark. Don't visit me so late, it's dangerous for Nunnally."

I made out the sounds of the door closing and felt my muscles relaxing, not that I really had any. Footsteps approached the room and the door opened. "They're gone." She finally said.

It began to get cold as the sun set, and I watched CC carry a pile of wood to the fireplace. Fire filled the fireplace as soon as she tossed the pieces of wood in. "I have a guest room near the kitchen that you can use." She said to me, warmth filling the cold room.

"..Good night."