14

I began heading back to my cottage, though it would be a while before I would make it back from the city, so I took a shortcut through an alley way.

Someone tapped me on the shoulder. "CC." Recognizing Lelouch's voice through his disguise, I turned to face him. "Where were you?" He asked.

I stared at him for a while, wondering how he found me. "I was just chatting with your old maid for a while."

"You mean Sayoko?"

"Yes. She gave me some updates on Nunnally."

"What about her?" He asked suddenly, looking worried.

"She's-"

Before I could say any more, a voice interrupted us, "CC?" Suzaku was standing quite a distance away from us but I could hear his voice due to the lack of noise. "Who's that man next to you?" I could see Lelouch's hands begin to tremble. He must've heard most of our conversation already, meaning there was no escape for him. Suzaku had him cornered.

Lelouch's POV

CC did not reply to his question but looked at me, as if she was waiting to see what would happen. Suzaku began approaching us as I tried to plan my escape.

"I'll ask again. Who is that?"

My eyes darted around the place, trying to find a way to escape. There was a ladder a few feet away from where I was standing. I leapt towards the ladder in attempt to climb over the roof and run, but there was no way I could outrun Suzaku. He pinned me down as soon as he caught up to me, a sword pressed near my neck.

"CC, care to explain?" Suzaku demanded, his voice sharp. Suzaku ripped my mask off. This was the end for me.

"LELOUCH?!"

After CC refused to explain anything else, we were singlehandedly dragged to the palace by Suzaku.

"Your highness, look at this!"

Nunnally stares at both of us with a blank look. "What is this, CC?" She asked quietly.

"I'm sorry, Nunnally." CC replied. "For keeping this from you."

I stared at the ground glumly. What an idiot I was. What an absolute idiot.

"This-! This is what happens when you forgive the wrong people, Nunnally!" Suzaku yelled. "I never trusted-!"

"Suzaku!" Nunnally cried. "Stop...please.."

"..Nunnally...." I managed to say, but my voice cracked.

She slowly wheeled herself back into the palace, where her room was. Her face was hidden by her bangs and I couldn't read her expression. But she must've been... shocked.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." I repeated over and over in my head.