Chapter 45

The next day we woke up and set our sights on New York. But of course with Mr. and Mrs. Broadway and in love with New York, they wanted to sightsee first. And of course they wanted Breakfast at Tiffany's.

We saw the Empire State Building, the site of 9/11 which was really eerie and surreal. They even talked me into taking a ferry over to the Statue of Liberty. We went all over New York before we actually did what we came to New York to do.

"Bushwick?" Rachel asks.

"They have nice lofts," Kurt smiled.

"Let's go then," I said, walking towards a building with 'Lofts for Rent' on the side.

Kurt grabbed my hand and linked his arm with Rachel and we walked in the building to find the manager.

The manager was a young African-American woman. She was really pretty and nice. She led us to the eighth floor to a big apartment. It was really huge, it had three bedrooms and two and a half bathrooms. Plenty of room for us three.

"The rent is $950 a month. That includes lights, gas, and water. You will have to pay for your own internet, cable and phone and any other miscellaneous things you will need, The building doesn't permit large pets, only small ones. If you do have a pet, only two are allowed to live here. Any questions?" she asked.

"Um, no I don't think so," I smiled.

"Okay, rent is always due at the first of the month," she smiled.

I looked at Kurt and Rachel who were beaming with excitement. I mean the apartment was perfect for us, all the bedrooms were huge and spacious so it wouldn't be cramped. The bedrooms were all the same size so no fighting over who gets the biggest room.

"Do we want this one?" I asked, hopeful.

Kurt squeezed my hand for his answer and Rachel was giving me a reassuring smile.

"We'll take it."

"Great. I'll need $950 for this months rent plus a security fee of $250. You can pay the additional $250 whenever. I can tell that you're good for it," she smiled and handed me the keys.

"Thanks so much," Rachel smiled.

"No problem. you look like good kids and I know college students rather stay in apartments than dorms because we have less rules and there's no curfew," she smiled and walked towards the door.

Kurt ran through the loft, looking for the perfect room for us and Rachel was thinking of how we would design the common area. What have I gotten myself into with these two?

**********

Back home to Lima and back to reality. Meaning we had to tell our parents about Kurt's pregnancy. Damn, I really don't want to tell them.

We woke up early Monday and went to my house, knowing my mom was home. My mom manages to be off more in the summer than during the rest of the year. Its as if she's on summer vacation like schools or something. I should ask her how she does that, but then again she does own her practice.

She was up making breakfast with a huge smile on her face when we arrived.

"This is strange," I said softly.

"Why?" Kurt asked me.

I stopped and looked at him. "My mom never makes breakfast with a smile unless she's cooking for somebody. And I'm not home anymore, Coop's never here and my dad is dead."

Kurt's face twisted into a worried look.

I nodded and frowned. "Right."

We walked towards the kitchen and watched her dance around for while. She was really happy.