Chapter 12

"Kurt this steak is cooked perfectly and tastes delicious," my mom gushed as she took small bites of her steak.

"Thank you so much Mrs. Anderson," Kurt smiled wide.

"So little brother, what's been going on?" Coop asked.

"Um, nothing really, just trying to get ready for my NYADA audition next week," I said, looking at my brother.

"Is that all?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

I looked at him intensely. What was he getting at? "Yes?"

"Then why are you and Kurt wearing engagement rings?"

My mom stopped eating and began staring at my left hand and then Kurt's. Her eyes widen, but not in a bad way, and then they began tearing up.

"Well, I was going to wait until we were sitting around with desserts before I told you, but Kurt and I are engaged," I said, grabbing Kurt's hand and kissing his knuckles.

"When did this happen?" Mom asked, wiping her face.

"Um, two months ago," I said, looking at Kurt.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I don't know Mom, it kind of just came to me when I was in school one day and I just went out and got the ring and proposed. Of course, I did talk to Burt and Carole first, but I didn't tell anybody I was going to propose until after the fact," I said, looking at my mother and Coops shocked faces. Even Kurt's face was shocked, I never told him any of that, not because I didn't want to but because it was never a topic of discussion.

"If you proposed to Kurt, then why do you have a ring?" Coop asked, shaking his head.

"I proposed to him two weeks later. I pretty much just wanted to give him a ring as well and because he has done so much for me, I wanted a chance to show him that I appreciate everything he has done for me over the past year. I wanted a chance to spoil him the way he has been spoiling me," he smiled at me.

"I really wish I was informed about this," my mom said, going back to cutting and eating her steak.

"I know Mom, but like I said it was a spare of the moment thing, but even after it happened, I was just on Cloud 9 and I didn't want to discuss it with anyone who might kill my vibe." I wasn't trying to be mean, I was just trying to get her to understand why I didn't inform her on my proposal.

"Mrs. Anderson if I can? I should have asked you for your permission to ask for Blaine's hand, I wasn't sure if you would be on board. In all honesty I didn't want to have you try and talk me out of my decision even though we were already engaged when I proposed," Kurt tried to explain to my mother.

"Kurt I wouldn't have talked you out of it. I would have told you that I think you two are too young to be thinking about marriage, I mean you are only seventeen and eighteen."

"That's the same thing Burt told me, but I'm a tell you like I told him, this engagement is not an excuse for us to run off and get married tomorrow. And I am sick of just saying 'oh he's my boyfriend,' or 'hey, this is my boyfriend Kurt.' No I want to be able to say 'this is my fiancé Kurt,' that's all I want. I also want him to plan us this very grand day, which I know he will."

"That is the sweetest thing, I didn't know you felt like that honey," Kurt gushed.

"I still wish you both would have came to me or at least called me and told me something," she was stuck on the fact that she is the last to know.

"Mom, I think what they are trying to say is, that they aren't one hundred percent sure if you are okay with this thing they have going on. I mean you weren't really all that cool when Blaine came out, all though you did come around after a while and he knows you love Kurt, but maybe they just didn't want to tell you because of the past," Coop said, looking at his mother.

"Blaine knows I support all of his life decisions, if I didn't I wouldn't have allowed him to move in with Kurt. But I do understand where you are coming from now," she sighed.

"That's why we had this dinner, Kurt wanted to sit down and tell you about our engagement," I said, smiling a little bit.

"This was very nice, so Kurt do you have anything envisioned for this wedding?"

"I don't know yet. I haven't even had time to think about the details because of the NYADA auditions and New York," he said, taking a sip of his water.

"You know Broad-"

"I don't want to hear that Coop. We are going to New York and that's that," I sighed looking at my brother.

"Do you know what colors you want?"

That made Kurt stop and really think. My mom was really trying to be involved in this thing. If Kurt wants her involved, she will be. He looked at her and then at me with a questioning look on his face.

"I know I want one of us wearing a white tux and the other wearing a black tux. I also want white to be apart of the main colors and maybe some kind of variations of reds and blues. I really don't know yet. Honestly, I don't even know when we are going to get married, but I do know that we will work together to finish school first before we set a date," Kurt smiled.

This gave my mother something to think about. I think that's what she wanted to hear, the part about us finishing school before we set a date.

To me, the wedding isn't as important as the love that we both share. We can be engaged for five or ten years and I'll be fine with that. All I want is to be with Kurt for the rest of my life without worrying about anything. Giving him my last name or me taking his last name is just a bonus.

"I would just like say that I am proud of you little brother. I'm glad that you found somebody as good as Kurt," Cooper said, raising his cup.

"Here, here!"