Chapter 25

****Dustin's POV****

"Are you sure you're okay Kayla?" I asked worried. The week was up and she was going back to school today. She still can't play volleyball or do any physical activity, but I'm worried she'll hurt herself again.

"Yes for the last time I'm fine Dustin. We're not even at school yet and you're already worrying." she said annoyed. We were in her mom's car. Basically everyone was worried that Kayla would get hurt on the bus, so we finally persuaded her to let her mom drive her to school until her ribs are healed. We just decided to carpool considering we live so close to each other. 

"I am worrying Kayla! I already hurt you once, I'm not letting that happen again." I still feel so guilty for stepping on Kayla. What kind of guy am I?! I love her, and yet I step on her injured rib. Stupid Brent was the one provoking me. If he just stopped fighting for just one second, Kayla wouldn't be this hurt. I actually try to get along with him for Kayla's sake, but he's just a heartless asshole. 

"Dustin if you're thinking about choking the living shit out of Brent, stop it." Kayla spat out. How the hell does she always know what I'm thinking about?! Sure, I wasn't specifically thinking about choking him, but I do wish he would just butt out.

"I wasn't thinking about that." I muttered.

"Not specifically, but I do know you want him gone. It was written all over your face." she shot back, not even looking at me. 

"Are we really that predictable?" I said gently having her face me.

"You guys have been fighting for the past 2 weeks! Of course you guys are that predictable! All you ever do is fight about me!" she finally snapped. 

"Kayla, I-I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to-I never thought that-" 

"Save it Dustin." Kayla interrupted me.

I slumped back into my seat. Not to sound like a jackass, but I really am trying. Brent's the one who can't help but fight with me. I don't blame him, we're both trying to maintain our pride and make sure we get the girl we love, the girl we need.

-----

"Kayla! Kayla are you okay?"

"We heard what happened!" 

"Does your ribs still hurt?!" 

"Did Dustin really step on you?" 

Everyone was crowding around Kayla as soon as she stepped out of the car. My guilt can back when I heard someone ask if I stepped on her. I tried to push her through the crowd. I can tell she hated all the attention she was getting. 

"Will you all give her some space! You want her to injure herself again?!" I shouted. Some people listened while others just kept pestering her. 

"Why should we listen to you?! You're the one who stepped on her!" someone shouted out. I stopped and clenched my fist. 

"Hey! Asshole! It was a damn accident! All of this was! Now will you fuck off! I gotta go to the nurse! Dustin, will you come with me?" she said sweetly in the end. I smiled at her and lead her to the building. 

"Hey Kayla." Someone pounced on her, but gently. She turned around and grinned.

"Hey Becca." She pulled her into a hug, but was wary of her ribs.

"You doing okay?" she said. She shot me a quick glare but then looked back at Kayla.

"Yeah I'm fine. Don't worry about me. Have you seen Brent?" she said.

"No, not today. But it's probably a good thing he's not here." she whispered. I don't think I was suppose to hear that, but I did.

"Kayla, the nurse?" I reminded her.