Chapter 10

Steve's POV

Maddison has been unconscious for a day. Bruce hasn't told anyone her injuries only that guy Jake. 

"I don't like this." I mumble to Tony who was sitting next to me in the Med Bay.

"By this you mean Bruce not telling you? Or Jake being here?"

"Both." I grunted.

"I don't think anyone does-"

All of a sudden we hear Maddison's heart monitor beep really loud so we rush to her. I open the door and see her laying with Jake on the bed, taking the needles out of her arm. She looks up at me and starts to speak, but I just walk out the room.

She's cheating on me, after everything?

I took the elevator up to my room and lay down.

I cant believe she would do that. Tears start to swell in my eyes.

"Steve?"

I look at the door and see Artemis holding the Captain America teddy bear I gave her. I quickly wipe my tears. "Hey soldier." She waddles over to me and I put her on my lap.

"Don't cry." She said wiping the rest of my tears.

"What! I'm not crying. My eyes just wanted to go for a swim." I said chuckling and kiss her forehead. She giggled.

"How about we make cookies."

"Chocolate chip?"

"Of course." I stood up and toss her over my shoulders. I hold one foot in each hand as she dangled behind my back giggling.

I walked in the living room and put her on the couch tickling her.

"Go wash your hands and then well make the cookies." She jumped off the couch and ran to the bathroom.

I went to the kitchen and took out all the ingredients, bowls, and spoons. 

I hear Artemis running towards the kitchen and see she's wearing an apron that's 10 sizes too big for her.

We were placing the dough on the trays when I hear someone call my name.

"In the Kitchen." I call. I turn around and see Maddison in a wheelchair but I turn  back around.

"Are you okay?" I ask Maddison as Artemis dips her finger in the bowl.

"Umm y-yeah. I'm okay." Her voice was soft and weak. I just nodded and put the trays in the oven, setting the timer.

I steal a small piece of dough from the spoon Artemis and run to my room. I hear her running after me so I close and lock my door. I turn to my bed and see Maddison tying to sit, but clearly struggling. I rush over as she was about to fall.

"Thanks." she whispered.

She sat there for a while silent, looking at the floor, before finally speaking.

"What you saw is not what it looks like."

I scuff. "Its not? Well tell me what it looks like because from my angle it looked like you were cheating."

"I'm not cheating on you Steve."

"Then why were you half naked in the bed of a motel room with another guy? Why was he practically naked right beside you? Why were you laying with him when you were in the Med Bay? Tell me that you weren't cheating because to me that screams cheating!" I yell.