Chapter 32

A/N I've been away for ages and you guys are seriously the best for sticking around, so here's a really long chapter for you all (4000 words!) Grab a cup of tea, a biscuit and a comfy blanket and enjoy this chapter my loves! X

Rosalind's POV

It seemed to have taken ages for this day to get here. Who knew I would suddenly get so busy these past few months? But finally, after surviving a whole year as a 16-year-old, it was my birthday.

It was Friday afternoon, and just like I had done exactly a month ago today, I was stood beside Marcel's car waiting for him to come out of school.

I hadn't seen him all day because he had been in the city at the hospital for a checkup on his ribcage and to see if he needed any further treatment. I had received a text from him at about two telling me he would be back at school for last period.

It seemed a little odd that he would come in for just over an hour, but then again, he loved his education.

Sometimes I would forget that Marcel used to be incredibly, well, nerdy. He still dressed the same and worked hard and did well in school, but he acted so different around me now that I found his normal behaviour quite surprising.

He was full of joy and confidence around me now, but he was still shy and quiet around everybody else.

I wished he could see how perfect he was.

Suddenly, I heard footfall behind me and I spun around to see Marcel walking towards the car.

"Hi!" I called cheerfully, moving around the car to greet him with a hug.

"Hey." He responded, deadpan, avoiding my embrace and getting into the driver's seat.

Well, that was odd.

He slammed the car door shut and I stood for a moment, surprised, before walking around to the passenger side and climbing in.

Marcel started the engine without a word and started to drive, joining the queue of traffic trying to leave the school car park.

"Marcel... Are you okay?" I asked, reaching to place my hand over his, which was resting on the base of the steering wheel.

"Yes." He spoke curtly, his tone sharp. I quickly retracted my hand.

"Are you sure?" I pressed. "Is everything alright? Did.. Did something happen at the hospital?"

"No, I'm fine." He snapped. "Can we just drop it?"

I was taken aback by his tone and I was getting increasingly worried.

He said he was fine, but why was he in such a bad mood?

Was it me? Had I done something?

I had no idea what I could have done. He was perfectly normal with me yesterday.

I sighed, a little hurt. This was the last thing I needed, especially on my birthday.

Did he remember it was my birthday?

I'd brought it up so much I didn't see how he could forget. We'd even planned a special date for tonight.

He wouldn't forget that... surely?

Unless... unless he didn't listen to me as much as I thought he did.

No, no. I had to be overthinking this. I had to be.

Maybe he'd just had a stressful day and his mind was elsewhere. Perhaps if I dropped a little hint he'd remember and try to be a little happier. He might remember the night we planned and his mood might improve.