Chapter 12

Rosalind's POV

Friday.

I awoke with excitement stirring in my veins. I shouldn't have been as excited as I was, after all, it was only a party, but it was at Niall's house which meant I would have to impress him.

Life was hard being a girl you know, it was just impress, impress, impress, 24/7.

If a boy were to stay in his PJs all day and left his hair unbrushed people would say "oh, he's allowed a day off, his hair always looks good anyway, the natural look is so in," blah, blah, blah...

If a girl were to do the same the comments would be very different, like "ew, her hair's a mess, what is she wearing, has she even bothered to look good today, that's so not in, what a bitch."

So I was going to have a long night working on my look to avoid bitchy comments and my impending ugliness.

I slipped into my clothes, pulled my hair up into a loose yet sleek ponytail and grabbed a bowl of frosties. As I munched away at the soggy cereal, my eyes wandered to the staircase and my mum dragged herself down them.

"Morning," I mumbled, nearly spitting milk at her as she sat across from me at the table. 

"Hey sweetie," She poured herself a cup of water and took her vitamin tablets, smiling as she did so.

"What are you smiling at?" I asked as I swallowed a final mouthful of my supposed-to-be-yet-not-very-crunchy cereal and picked up my orange juce.

"It's a nice day today, that's why. Would you like to help me in the garden when you get back from school?" My mother looked very hopeful as we rarely got a chance to spend time together.

"I'd love to, but I can't." Her face fell. "I'm having a friend over and then we're going to a party."

"A party?" My mum did not seem happy with this idea. "Who's party? I don't want you to go."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," I raised my arms in surrender. "It's nothing big. It's just people, music and dancing." I told her.

"I may be old sweetie but I'm not an idiot. I know these teenager parties are always bad news." She pursed her lips at me and walked to the sink.

"Not neccessarily." I defended.

"There will be alcohol, and people doing rude things and dirty dancing," My mum pulled a disgusted face. "And quite frankly I do not want you involved."

"Hey, hey, calm down," I walked over to my mum and gave her a big hug to soften her up. "I'm not an idiot either. I'm not in with the crowd who does all that. It will just be me, my friend from tonight and Ally and Maya hanging out at this place, having a laugh and dancing. That's it." I knew it was partly a lie as I would most definitely be spending plenty of time with Niall, and that meant spending time with the crowd that did do what my mum dreaded.

"Friend? Who is this friend?" My mum pulled back to look at me.

"He's Marcel, you'll like him mum, he's very shy and well mannered." I smiled lightly.

"Oh," She seemed surprised. "He does sound nice. Is he your boyfriend? he sounds like a good boyfriend. The shy ones are always nice."

"Mum," I laughed. "No, no, he's not my boyfriend. I've only been hanging out with him for about a week."

"But you're going to a party with him," Mum wiggled her eyebrows. I rolled my eyes and turned back to the table to glug the rest of my orange juice.

"Not just him," I corrected.

"Where is this party anyway?" My mum queried.

"Niall's," I saw the look on my mum's face at the mention of another boy. "Don't worry, he's nice too." I noticed the time and grabbed my schoolbag. "I have to go, see you tonight."