Chapter 20

Rosalind's POV

Over and over in my head, all I could hear was the sound of the horn blaring on the other end of the phone and then the dead silence.

The silence was scarier than it would have been if he'd screamed or yelled out, but there was nothing.

Just.. silence.

What was I supposed to do?

I didn't know where he was or if he was alright.

My phone fell from my hand as I stood in shock, my body cold and rigid. I barely heard it as it clattered to the floor, bouncing multiple times and cracking the screen.

All I could think about was Marcel.

I needed to move, I needed to breathe. I had to gather my thoughts and do something rational.

Rational.

Rational.

My head was spinning. I couldn't think.

The horn blared again in my mind, the sound in my head making me jump.

Breathe, Rosalind.

A strange noise escaped my throat and my hands flew to my neck.

Rational!

For god's sake, breathe!

I tried to move my feet but they stuck to the floor.

The wind blew swiftly through my hair and between my legs. Shivers rattled down my spine. It was very cold.

Breathe.

Rational.

Chills. Too many chills.

My head kept spinning.

The horn blared again, but it was still only in my mind.

Rational.

It was so cold.

Breathe.

I couldn't breathe.

That was the problem. I wasn't breathing.

Breathe!

Why weren't my lungs moving?

Why was I suffocating?

Oh, that's right, it's because I killed my best friend.

Breathe!

I killed him.

No, I couldn't have.

An image of him lying in a pool of his own blood the day we met flashed through my mind.

Breathe!

That would be him again, and it was all my fault.

I shouldn't breathe.

I didn't deserve to breathe.

Marcel deserved to breathe, but he couldn't because of me.

He was dead. I knew it.

All because of me.

And then, as if someone switched out the lights, my entire world went black, and the last thing I felt was the cold release of my head hitting the tarmac.

Marcel's POV (before the incident)

Hot, sticky tears were still streaming down my cheeks as I drove away from Niall's house.