Chapter 3

Marcel's POV

Rosalind had gathered her things and she began poking at my face. It stung a lot, but I kept still just as she ordered. I lost count of the number of blood satined cotton pads she dropped on the table. Occasionally she would just stop and stare at me for a few seconds, I wasn't entirely sure what she was doing. It was most likely that she was scanning for cuts.

As much as I liked having someone who didn't hurt me, I was unsure of how long it would last. I knew she felt guilty for all the times she just stood and watched people hurt me. I suppose Brandon and Ethan just pushed her over the edge. She didn't know them, I could tell from her face and the weary look in her eyes, but I did. Bullies like to talk. They shout eachother's names across the hall. Sometimes they tell me secrets, I know some really dark and dirty things, so that if I tell they'll have another excuse to beat me up. 

I glanced up at Rosalind. Why was she helping me? I wanted to trust her but I wasn't sure if I could. I was almost sure that as soon as we were at school or in public again she would continue to ignore me.

She caught me looking and smiled at me a little. I smiled back weakly and she giggled.

"W-what?" I asked.

"You have a dimple." She stated, clearly amused.

"Yeah." I replied, looking away.

"Don't be embarrassed," She told me.

"I-I'm not." I kept my eyes at the floor.

"It's cute." She told me, not making a big deal out of it. For me though, it kind of was a big deal. I think it was the first compliment I had ever recieved, especially from a girl.

Rosalind carried on treating my cuts and I sat quietly, sorting my thoughts. 

After placing various bandages on my face, Rosalind took my arm and began to clean the deep cuts in my skin. I gasped in pain as she pressed a cotton pad to the deepest wound. I closed my eyes and gritted my teeth as she pressed her tweezers into the cut and extracted a chunk of gravel.

"Marcel," Rosalind sounded furious. "What the hell did they do to you?"

I couldn't look at her. 

"Marcel," She repeated.

"This one," I began, running a finger over the wound she had just cleaned. "Was made by broken glass." I whispered, ashamed.

She gasped, clearly horrified. "I'm going to kill them." she growled.

"N-no you're not." I stammered.

"They think they can do that to you," She spat.

"I know, but just leave it. P-please."

"Fine." She seemed very upset and angry.

Oh god, please don't let her tell.

Rosalind's POV

Marcel made me swear not to tell what people do to him. It felt wrong and it disgusted me what they did to him, but I didn't want to upset him any more. 

I finished dealing with his cuts and bruises and applied plasters and bandages where necessary. 

He must have felt awful.

How could people let this happen? It wasn't just the physical pain though, it was the mental pain. I could tell he had no confidence. He was broken and battered and not for the first time either. It was torture for him every day. He definately had it worst in the whole school, but it was disgusting to think that this happened to so many people.

I felt so sorry for Marcel.

But I wasn't friends with him... was I?

I wasn't tryng to sound like a bitch, but just because you help someone, it doesnt have to mean you're friends.

I hoped he didn't get the wrong impression. I had my friends and they had me. It had always been just us. I'm wasn't sure how they'd feel about someone else. To be honest, I wasn't sure how i'd feel about that either. We were Ally, Maya and Ros. We always had been. I knew they didn't like Marcel anyway. 

"Rosalind?" I didn't realise how quiet I'd been until Marcel broke the silence.

"Hmm?" I looked up, feeling a little guilty about my thoughts.

"I'd better go." He said quietly. "My mum will be wondering where I am."

"Oh, okay." I got up with him and led him to the door.

"Thanks," he said. "For everything."

"Have a safe journey."  I called as I closed the door.

We weren't friends. Friends would have hugged and said "See you tomorrow!" and laughed all the way to the door. Marcel and I were competely different. How could we ever be friends?

Why was I even debating this?

We were not friends.

My stomach sank.

Guilty.

Why did I feel guilty? We were never going to be close and we both knew it, end of story. I helped him, so what? That doesn't mean he trusts me. That doesn't mean he thinks we're close or ever will be. And neither do I. Why was I still trying to convince myself? I should have just walked straight by the alley. I never normally stop when I hear people, I wouldn't have known any better. It wouldn't be my fault. 

I still couldn't convince myself that what I was going to do was the right thing. I would ignore him, he would ingore me. 

But could I let that happen? 

He would hate me, I gave him a false sense of security. Guilt gripped my stomach and tied me in knots. He would probably never smile again. His dimple would never pop up. I had to admit, it was cute. That didn't mean that I liked him though. Not in the slightest.

That's that.

End of story.

Right? Right...

Guilty.

Heyyyy! I hope you liked this chapter. I know my chapters are pretty short but they'll probably get longer as the story goes on. Thanks for reading my lovlies!

Love

Katie xx